1753311 Members
6739 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HPSIM SNMP or plain WBEM/WMI

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

It's preferable to start a new thread rather than restart an old one.
TheFabSan
Occasional Advisor

Hi Rob, why would starting a new thread be preferable when all the information in this one is still relevant? Wouldnt that fragment the discussion?  i know its a post from 2002 but its a bit frustrating searching through all the posts/forums. Its a bit frustrating when thinking this one would answer most of my questions then you close it with open a new thread.

Snak3eye5
Frequent Advisor

I am using snmp. I still don't know if wbem is worth the effort (afraid of change ;) ). Enen though i have heard that wbem is easier to configure for sim traps as opposed to snmp. You just have to install wbem on the server, point the datasource to wbem and on the sim side you just have to subscribe to the sever in question for wbem. And lastly if you have firewall open, you have to open 5989...

shocko
Honored Contributor

WBEM, in my opinion, is better for the following reasons

1. Security
  2. Compression
  3. Richer (will be in the future)
  4. Industry is moving that way
  5. Makes integration with other systems easier
  6. Provides scripting capabilities and APIs
If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Subbu1899

Hi All,

So please let me know.... In HP system Homepage On Data Source Which one is best WBEM or SNMP???

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I would say the above reply should say enough. WBEM is the preffered prototol for WIndows 2008 and above, ESX 5.x. SNMP should be used for WIndows 2003 Linux and ESX 4.x and below. The only reason to be using SNMP for Windows could be firewall reasons because of the dynamic trap ports for events.

Kind regards,

Andrew