Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPSIM agent capable of doing fiber path monitoring

steukers erik
Occasional Contributor

HPSIM agent capable of doing fiber path monitoring

Hi,

Are HPSIMagents on a server with FIber connections, capable of monitoring the fible path,

i.e. detecting if there is a fiber path faliover?

Many thanks,
Erik.

3 REPLIES
LGentile
Trusted Contributor

Re: HPSIM agent capable of doing fiber path monitoring

All i can tell you about this is - i don't think so. We use MPIO with our HBAs (PowerPath on Windows and the embedded MPIO in ESXi) and failures of paths do not trigger events. In most cases, when I check the HW status, the HBAs are green and not degraded. So, my guess is, the agents do not detect or monitor paths, only physical characteristics of the HBA.

I don't know this for sure, this is just what I've witnessed. I am actually troubleshooting 2 different hosts that lost a storage path (one that lost the entire connection on one HBA - both paths) and SIM did not record any events...

If anyone figures this out, please respond. I'd love for SIM to be able to capture degradation of storage paths.
SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

Hi,

only thing about FC in HP SIM I know is, that with WBEM you get much more information about the HBAs than with SNMP.

Maybe there are additional Agents / Software for FC monitoring which could give the path information / status to EventLog or HP SIM?

--> Like PowerPath does write events on PathLosses into the EventLog

Regards,

LGentile
Trusted Contributor

Yes, PowerPath is a good tool to manage/monitor path issues and device issues. I do not believe SIM can do anything with it though - i think the basic questions around this were how SIM could specifically help. I am not aware of an alert/event condition for a failed path.

The main issue with WBEM is you can't browse the events as easily as you can for SNMP (you can select the MIB and scroll through events, for WBEM you need to open up each category and find your condition). But, i do plan to look through the WBEM categories pertaining to storage to see if there is an event in there.. The last time we had a path failure, the HBA missing a path was "green" in SIM.