1751939 Members
5022 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPSIM is not picking up OS upgrades on monitored RHEL VM's

Mark Nierth
Advisor

HPSIM is not picking up OS upgrades on monitored RHEL VM's

I'm running HPSIM 7.5.0 on a Windows 2012 VM and like most, we use it to monitor our environment across multiple OS flavors.  I have over 1000 RHEL VMs in SIM that are being monitored for server up/down events. This works fine. I've noticed that HPSIM is not picking up the correct RHEL OS version whenever we perform an OS upgrade on the RHEL VM's.

As an example, server rc-lx111 is a RHEL VM and was at rhel 5.8 when it was initialy discovered. We've since upgraded this VM to RHEL 5.11, but SIM still sees it at 5.8.  I have a daily task to Identify Systems and this VM is part of the polling list. I've tried Repair Agent, re-disovery to VM but SIM still show RHEL 5.8. If i delete the VM from SIM and run a new discovery, it then shows RHEL 5.11. The server is not running SNMP or WBEM, only SSH.

Short of deleting the VM's and rediscover, any one have any ideas ?  

5 REPLIES 5
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello,

To collect OS and other info SIM uses the Bi weekly Data Collection Job. You can run a datacollection by hand and see if it succeeds. This job used the credintials that work for the server. This would be  SNMP for a Linux server. You could try to restart the SNMP and SNMP agents, then run an identification. If the identification runs like i should you can then rerun the datacollection to see if the OS version get's updated.

Most of the time the problem is that the SNMP and/or SNMP agent on the server is broken. If the server is a Gen8 or newer the OS info is read from ILO by using the AMS agent. IS the server a gen7 or older or Gen8 or newer?

Kind regards,

Andrew
Mark Nierth
Advisor

Thanks for the post Andrew,

But as i mentioned, these are RHEL Virual servers and not physical servers. SNMP does not run on these. You may have pointed me in the right direction. Under the BiWeekly Data Collection task, the servers i'm having issues with are not included in the Collection Targets. So i've added them in and rerunnig the collection tasks. It will take several hours so i should know something tomorrow.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Missed that they where virtuals, do you have any credentials for these virtual servers ? You do need credentials to read the status. Could it be that these servers where added by some virtual server discovery ? If the yare discovered as virtual servers they either have some discovery of their own or they are added by a VM discovery when the virtualisation server was discovered and then it ran a datacollection job for these server(s). I only have experiance with ESX and there virtuals get discovered by runnen a datacollection on the ESX server. For that you need root like credentials that can read the ESX config.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Mark Nierth
Advisor

Hi Andrew,

The only credentials the RHEL VM's have is SSH. They are manually discovered once they are built. I looked at the past runs for the Bi-Weekly Data Collection, and all RHEL VM's fail. The only once that work are physical servers that have snmp running. I also saw SSH was not part of the protocols. So under Custom Collections-System Functions-Data Collection List I added SSH as a management protocol (along with SNMP, WBEM and WS-Management). Unfortunately, this didn't make any difference. I'm still playing around with this when i have time and will let you know if I discovery anything.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

For a virtual to have information in SIM the normal way is that the ESX server is scanned and from that point the root or rootlike account logs on onto the ESX server and collects info on the virtuals running on the ESX server. So perhaps the credentials used for this datacollection are changed and thus the datapolling can't logon to get new info like OS versions.

If you changed the root account you should update the root account used in SIM to discover the ESX servers.

I know you don't have ESX but i guess it works the same way. SSH is enabled by default so perhaps someone disabled it for a reason.

Kind regards,

Andrew