108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPSIM on ESX 3.5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Daniel skjelmose

HPSIM on ESX 3.5

Hi there,

I am trying to setup HPSIM to our new HP enviroment. HPSIM is running fine I have imported/discovered a few ProLiant BL495c G5 (working fine)

I do have a problem with ESX though. I have installed hpmgmt-8.3.0-vmware3x.tar on the ESX 3.5 server. HPSIM can see the server fine but I cants use the

Virtual Machine Host Configuration Details
Host is not registered with VMM. Use Configure->Virtual Machine Management->Register VM Host... menu item to register.

Virtual Machines
Host is not registered with VMM. Use Configure->Virtual Machine Management->Register VM Host... menu item to register.

When I do try to register it I get this error:

Register VM Host. Registering VM Host ppvm06 Agent Based VM Hosts
are not supported on a Linux CMS. (View logs: cms)

What am I doing wrong?

Kind regards,

Daniel
3 REPLIES 3
Hobbes_2
Advisor
Solution

Re: HPSIM on ESX 3.5

Unless it's ESXi, VMM isn't supported on a Linux CMS.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01421560/c01421560.pdf
Daniel skjelmose

Thank you very much for the answer. I have another question now. When can we espect support for linux? I mean whats the point running it on windows ( We do NOT have or want anything to do with windows :-) )

We want to run HPSIM on Linux only. Thanks for your answer though.
Hobbes_2
Advisor

Sorry Daniel, I can't answer that. HP seems to always lag behind with Linux as oposed to Windows. Which is weird since their tools, being based on Java and Tomcat, seem more Linux driven. This statement on their new SIM 6.0 website seems to say it all.

"HP SIM 6.0 is targeted primarily for large heterogeneous data centers with a significant portion of HP servers and storage. These customers may be managing large server and/or storage farms with several thousand devices or midsize environments of one hundred to several hundred devices. The majority of our target customers have Windows based servers and some have a mixture of Windows, Linux, HP-UX, OpenVMS, etc"