3602 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPSIM tasks never complete

Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

HPSIM tasks never complete

Hi all:

Lots of questions regarding HPSIM. Will post them in time.

Right now, I have HPSIM C.05.00.01.01 installed on WIN 2003 Server.

I had several tasks fail to run over the weekend. These tasks are related to HPUX monitoring and these particular tasks are only alarming if the system is unreachable.

HPSIM recognized that a couple of HPUX systems became unreachable on the afternoon of 5/6/2006. Go into 'Tasks and Logs' then drill down to 'Task Results' and I saw the tasks being listed but the status '0% running'. It never changed. This AM I stopped/started the HPSIM and now the specific tasks say 'Some Failures' with Start Time/End Time of NA.

I have noticed that when a task gets stuck like this, sunsequent tasks will fail to complete as well.

What is happening?

6 REPLIES 6
Joel Rubenstein
Honored Contributor

Hi Rick,

Are the tasks that are hanging running a custom command?
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

No - these are events configured from the Automatic Event Handling.

I am selecting a pre-defined eventtype. Within the System Insight Manager Events are 3 sub-events. 1-Discovered System, 2-System is Reachable, 3-System is Unreachable.

I am selecting Unreachable and defining a my email address.

Sometimes it works no problems (and as expected) other time it will not work. Hangs a 0% and subsequent events/tasks will not proceed.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Joel,
Why do you ask if this is running a Custom Command?
I do have an issue where Custom Commands do not complete. They cannot be deleted either, I need to stop / restart HPSIM.
There's nothing wrong with the Custom Command either, it's generic, it just formats a nmessage and flicks it on. But from time to time several will just not complete, similar ones will.
Joel Rubenstein
Honored Contributor

Rob,

There is a known problem with custom commands hanging at 0%. These hung commands can not be killed, the SIM service must be restarted to delete them. The fix will be in the SIM 5 SP5 release.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

As I mentioned, I have lots of questions about SIM. They are related to issues/problems I am seeing.

Seems I will have to wait for SP5. Anybody know when the release of SP5 is going to be?

Thanks
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Rick,

Sorry to hi-jack your thread!

Joel,
Many thanks for that the failure to complete problem causes a lot of grief here.