108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPSIM traffic query

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brendan_25
Occasional Advisor

HPSIM traffic query

If I was to add another say 10 servers from a remote site, what kind of traffic would this generate over our WAN monitoring the basic configuration? Is it advisable to just create another HPSIM instance in the remote site?

I'd like to know the bw usage in doing this.

Cheers
Brendan
4 REPLIES 4
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

The short answer is probably not that much, especially if the servers are ProLiant. However, you can tune some of HP SIM's polling functions and other items to minimize the traffic.

- Automatic Discovery...if those 10 systems are in your remote site and are pretty static, you can exclude them from the subnet
- By default the "Server Status Polling" task runs against the "All Servers" collection with a frequency of every 5 minutes. You can create a new collection that excludes your 10 remote servers and have the "Server Status Polling" task run against it. Then create a query for just the 10 servers that are remote and create a new "Server Status Polling" task that runs at a frequency you prefer to minimize traffic, like every 10 or 15 minutes or even an hour.
Brendan_25
Occasional Advisor

Thanks David, you don't know roughly what traffic is generated (All Proliant servers)via the polling, are we talking 1-10k every poll per sever for example?

Cheers
Brendan
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Wow, nowhere near that. Status polling for a ProLiant server consists of a request and a response for a single OID. Like a 256 byte packet request and a 256 byte response.
Brendan_25
Occasional Advisor

Thanks David, thats what I was after, I found the information regarding the packets for an old version of Insight and used them for my figures. For 300 servers on a 10MB link it only uses %0.01 - minimal but the boss wanted minimal defined ;o)

Cheers for your help
Brendan