Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748003 Members
4690 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HPSIM with Insight Control for VMware : witch minimum right for the Vcenter account used by hpsi

Pascal Schirrmann
Occasional Advisor

HPSIM with Insight Control for VMware : witch minimum right for the Vcenter account used by hpsim

Hi,

Me again :-) A lot of questions, still no answers to others !

Just to know : are there here other users of the HPSIM VMware Module ? This is a nice piece of software, but I'm afraid not completely finished by now...

My today trouble : I wasn't able to create the link between HPSIM and our Vcenters with an account who isn't administrator of the VCenter. And I cannot continue to use this, as sometimes, HPSIM think he has to do some tuning work on our VCenter. This is completely forbidden here ! Our VMware team really want to have Insight information (if possible accurate and up to date) in the VCenter, and I, as the HP Servers guy, really want to know inside HPSIM what happening in the VCenter.

But we don't need any kind of active action from one side to the other.

I wasn't able to find a minimal set of instructions for the VMware account used by the HPSIM bridge (Of course, read only doesn't fit !)

Any hint ?

Thanks,

Pascal

3 REPLIES 3
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Re: HPSIM with Insight Control for VMware : witch minimum right for the Vcenter account used by hpsi

Hi,

In my training this week I installed with my students a full ICE and vCenter setup inclusing the plugins VMM and Insight Control for vCenter...

Everything worked like a charm using the latest versions available for download today...

I must admit that these were installed on the same machine so the SIM administrator was by default also vCenter administrator since it is the same account... So I cannot say directly which rights you need as a minimum, but I can tell you that there was no tweeking or other changes in the products...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Pascal Schirrmann
Occasional Advisor

Hi Bart,

Thanks for your reply. We did, in our 'real' environment, had some strange behavior of insight trying to optimise our VMware environment, and, as we still shink that we are smarter than this kind of software, we rather don't want this kind of help :-)

Anyway, I think I found a way to limit that, still under investigation :

I create a specific account for insgiht access into the VCenter. I gave Administrator rights in VMware to this account. Then, I redid the setup (via https://{insight for VCenter address}:50025/ using this account

I also redid the link in the Inshgt Manager screen (Options --> VMware vcenter setting).

I let the discovery take place.

Finally, in the VCenter, I revert this account as a read only account.

Seems to work, I have to wait a little bit to be sure.

I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Pascal

shocko
Honored Contributor

You say "insight trying to optimise our VMware". Out of interest, what behaviour are you seeing? I wasn't aware that this product did that sort of thing.

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)