1753929 Members
8958 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPSIM won't accept my remote SQL server

Dave_419
Advisor

HPSIM won't accept my remote SQL server

When installing HPSIM, I get to specify my own SQL server. My SQL server admin setup the database with correct access levels as we see it. In fact, if I setup a connection to the SQL server using ODBC in control panel I can connect successfully. But when I try to specify the SQL server database during HPSIM install (as BGON15\HPSIM), it says "Error:HP Systems Insight Manager was unable to connect to the specified database server. This error may be caused by a previously uninstalled version of SQL server, insufficient user credentials or insufficient disk space. Please see the Troubleshooting Guide for more information."

The security event logs on the SQL server show successful connections using the HPSIM service account I'm using - no failure audits.

I can't find any info on this error or anything in the setup guide about any extra requirements or special settings for SQL. Anyone know what I've missed? Maybe my Database Syntax is incorrect during HPSIM (I just used the same syntax as MSDE does)?

Thanks
Dave
3 REPLIES 3
Dave_419
Advisor

Ooops, worked it out. I'm NOT supposed to enter the server\databasename (like the MSDE syntax), just put the server name in. Sorry to trouble anyone.

Hi,
I am also having same problem ..I have windows 2008 server enterprise X64bit server (DL380G5)and my database admin created a database in a enterprise Sql server as hp_sim and login and password are same to the database. I am able to sucessfully connect to the database using the DSN with the above credentails but when i give the same details while install am getting "Unable to connect to the specified host .Please check the Host, Database and port valued provided. Any inputs will be helpfull.

Thanks.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Make sure the SQL Browser Service is running...