Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1751940 Members
4822 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HPSim System Software detected ROM versions are wong.

Pber
Advisor

HPSim System Software detected ROM versions are wong.

I have a few issues with discrepancies between the actual installed Software/Firmware and what is reported in HPSim..

It would seem that the Local VCA detects the installed ROM correctly.  However in HPSim after doing a software status update, the Installed Software and Firmware is detecting the system ROM in the wrong date format.

Instead of the usual format of: 2013.07.02, it shows the installed version as: 07/02/2013 and it reports as out of date.

I also have an issue with my ILO ROM version showing the installed version as 2.01 even though the installed version is 2.20 as confirmed with the local VCA.

I noticed this started happening with the latest SSP in both HPSim 7.1 and 7.2 (with the latest hotfixes).

Is anyone else seeing this and do you have any insight on the problem?

I've attached a few screenshots to help display my issue.

Thanks in advance,

Pat

8 REPLIES 8
Pber
Advisor

New findings.  I thought it was related to HPSim or the Version control repository, but I think it is the 9.4.0.0 version of WBEM. 

I switch my SMH datesource to SNMP and did another software status  update and the Installed Software and Firmware in HPSim was clean.  The date format of the ROM's were accurate.  Then I forced downgrade of WBEM to 9.2.0.0 (and changed the SMH datasource back to WBEM) and did another software status update and it was clean once again.  I think WBEM 9.4.0.0 is to blame.    I did not try 9.3.0.0

Do others see this?

Pber
Advisor

I think I found the culprit.  It is the 9.40 Insight Management Agents when communicating over SNMP.  The agents that use WBEM don't seem to have the problem at all.  However if you revert back to 9.30 Insight Management agents the date problem clears. 

I confirmed the issue by sniffing the SNMP packets and you can see the date coming back in the wrong format with 9.40 agents installed.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Yes, I believe we are having the same problem.  There is additional discussion about it here:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ITRC-HP-Systems-Insight-Manager/OnLine-Insight-Diag-9-50-1009-0-Cosmetic-Failure/td-p/6203279#.UmbNWzIo670

I have found no solution to it.

Nelson

Pber
Advisor

Fortunately, it's not only me.  Unfortunately it's not only me.

The Insight diagnostic version was a bit of a annoyance, but I just copied the latest baseline to a new one and removed that item.  I also did the same with the 9.40 Insight agents and used the 9.30 instead in a custom baseline.  Now I'm clean and green until HP can fix there bugs in 9.40.

waaronb
Respected Contributor

Ugh... here it is 4+ months later and there are still weird things with mismatched versions/dates.

I'm seeing all of my DL380p Gen8 machines show a nice "critical" warning in SIM thanks to the date format being inconsistent.

All of the systems show an installed ROM version of 12/20/2013 but of course the Support Pack version is 2013.12.20, and that particular version is listed with critical fixes, thus a nice, scary, orange icon.

It didn't matter one bit if I set the SMH on those systems to use SNMP or WBEM and then re-ran the software version inventory task, it picked up the ROM version the same either way.

HP needs to fix this... this isn't the first time this has happened so you'd think they'd learn their lesson.

I had some hopes that the newly released VCRM that came out would have a fix for this, maybe... that's the 7.3.1.0 version, but nope.  I think it needs a fix to the VCA itself so it can standardize one way or another on what date format to use when the version of the software is a date and not some x.x.x string.

André Schneickert
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

we are having this problem on several (not all) Proliant DL 380 G6 as well. The installed system ROM version is displayed as 07/02/2013, not as 2013.07.02. We are using HP SIM 7.4 with VCRM 7.4, but are having this problem since we moved from 6.3 to 7.x.

It also doesn't seem to matter whether the information is gathered via SNMP or WBEM.

I'm currently in the process of updating the systems to SPP 2014.09.

On the G6 with the incorrect version format, once you upgrade them to SPP 2014.09, the software status now lists THREE system ROM entries, each with the wrong version format:

P62 - 1 Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - HP Proliant DL380 G6 (P62) Servers (English (US))   06/20/2009

P62 - 2 Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - HP Proliant DL380 G6 (P62) Servers (English (US))   07/02/2013

P62 - 3 Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - HP Proliant DL380 G6 (P62) Servers (English (US))   06/20/2013

On the servers themselves, the VCA is listing all components with the correct version format.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this are very welcome.

Regards,

André Schneickert

André Schneickert
Occasional Advisor

I have to bump this, since the problem still persists and is very annoying.

Does someone from HP care to respond to this?

Regards,

André Schneickert

Pber
Advisor

I don't know why HP can't get the date right.   <Enter facetious comment here>

They can get it right directly via version control, but can't seem to get the version control and HPSim to match.

I'm at the same HPSim and VCRM as you, and already at 2014-09 SPP.   Same results.  The ILO ROM version doesn't match either.  This occurs on G7 and Gen8's as well.  My Gen9's will be arriving shortly and I suspect the same.

I still have to copy and create a custom baseline and remove the System ROMs and ILO ROMs from reporting.