108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Hardware status critical, SMH green

SOLVED
Go to solution
DaveLee
Frequent Advisor

Hardware status critical, SMH green

I have one server (Win2k3) in SIM 5.3 SP1 that is displaying a critical error on it's hardware status. However, the servers systems manager home page shows everything as green?

I have tried clearing down the ILO logs, and have pushed out 8.20 PSP but it still shows critical.. All other status's are green?
4 REPLIES 4
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Hardware status critical, SMH green

If you have the WBEM agents enabled in SMH, they do not show the status properly. My advice is to switch the SMH to use SNMP instead of WBEM. Here is an example problem I have seen:

1) Server experiences an ASR reboot
2) SIM shows Orange Indicator
3) Launch SMH and it shows nothing wrong (all green).
4) Go to IML and it shows a RED error for the ASR.
5) Clear the IML and now SIM shows Yellow error.
6) Go into SMH again, and it still shows green.
7) Go into IML and no new errors to clean.
8) No ASR link ANYWHERE is SMH to be found
9) Switch from WBEM to SNMP in SMH and now a yellow ASR link appears on the front page of SMH
10) Click on the ASR link and now I can clear the ASR status
11) SIM now shows green for server

What I suspect is happening for you is that you have an error in your IML (Intergrated Management Log) and the WBEM agents are not showing this in SMH. You need to clear the events in the IML. Also, as you may have ASR status not cleared. I have found the the only way to clear this is to switch to SNMP in SMH and then you will see a link for the ASR on the front page of SMH.

Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Also, see my thread here:

https://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1223096

Basically, "thresholds" can cause this too.

Nelson
DaveLee
Frequent Advisor

I now have a green status! I had already cleared down the IML so I followed your advice and set the SMH to SNMP. I could then see the ASR link (which was already green). From the SIM server I then ran a new hardware status poll using SNMP only and all is now green.

Will I be loosing anything by only using SNMP?

Thanks for your help.
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

I don't think so. From my experience, WBEM is a bit lacking yet. HP needs to make some changes to the WBEM agent to bring it up to speed with the SNMP agent...as it relates to the SMH and managing clusters in SIM.

Just my opinion. HP engineers may see things differently.

Nelson