Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Health Status not dispplayed in Virtual Center

Martin Sitte 1
Occasional Visitor

Health Status not dispplayed in Virtual Center

Hi,

I have 3 HP Proliant ML370-G5 hosts with VMware ESX 3.5 Update 2. On the first two I did an Update to ESX 3.5 U2, the last one I installed with ESX 3.5 U2 CDROM. This host now displays the Health Status in Virtual Center (Configuration, Hardware), the upgraded hosts do not display the status. Could someone point me to what's missing on the 2 upgraded hosts?
hpmgmt-8.1.0-vmware3x.tgz is installed on all 3 hosts and all 3 properly display the status web page. Just the Health Status is not shown in VC for 2 hosts.

Thank you in advance.
Martin
4 REPLIES
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Health Status not dispplayed in Virtual Center

You may want to post this in a VMware Forum.

I've several servers built from scratch with the downloaded U2 release and patched (build 110268) and none of those are showing the Health Status.

I have other hosts built using the U1 release and patched (build 110181) and they're showing the Health Status.

I'm not sure if these use the HP Agents at all, but the HP agents here are 8.1 on all hosts.

So here it looks as though something in the U2 release is stopping the Health from displaying in VC.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Also just noted. The servers that are NOT displaying the Health status have the hp-openIPMI Driver loaded. The servers that are okay don't have this driver loaded.

I've installed the agents the same way on all hosts, so I'm not quite sure why some have the HP openIPMI Driver and others don't.

But from what I can see here, those without the HP openIPMI driver show the Health Status.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

And a bit more, here the division is that hp-openIPMI is only installed on the Blade Servers, the servers where things are working are DL servers where hp-openIPMI is not installed.

The install script looks for the "Embedded Health Management Controller" if it finds this hp-openIPMI is installed.

Again not sure if this is relevant to your case. I'll know more when we upgrade the old DL385s to 3.5U2.
Brandon Long
Advisor

I have a similar thing going on here with my installations. We upgraded to ESX 3.5 U2 from CD / ISO image and the system now displays the Health Status. My other two ML370 units were upgraded via Update Manager and do not show that. Presumably this is a back end library that is installed (possibly due to updated installer recognizing additional HW).
Brandon