1752273 Members
4762 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help, Need to configure environment without impacting servers

Enash
Occasional Contributor

Help, Need to configure environment without impacting servers

I have been given the role to clean up insightmanager (SIM5.1 i believe) I work in an ecomerce environment that has to stay up 24/7. We have SQL servers, front end web servers, and hundreds of misc servers that make our ecommerce site function. Im looking at over 300 servers that i can not impact. I need to figur out a way to sync all of our systems and exchange server keys so that they are managed by certificate. Then I also need to replicate from my "Golden server" all my SNMP settings. 90% of the environment has the correct read and write community string but are not all managed by SIM. The only problem is that most of the servers are still running the same support pack that they were purchased with. Some are 4 years old. We really do not get down time and even adding MS patches has become a once a quarter thing. Does anyone know a way that i can update all my systems with out impacting them. And then replicate my Golden Settings from my source server and distribute it to my collection "all Servers", Any help is appreciate,,
3 REPLIES 3
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Current SIM version have the tool called "replicate agent settings". With that you can make agent configurations identical with the "golden one".

Also there is a tool "configure or repair agent settings" and with that you can push your certkey to servers.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Enash
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your information. I have used both those tools before, but one time i got bit when a production sql server had its foundation service restarted. I was doing a configure agents to push the cert key and it caused a Cluster to fail over. Not good. I almost got fired for that. I kind of need to know of a way to do this that i can be 100% positive that it will not impact the running server. Or any apps, communication to or from any of the servers we have. If I have one more mistake pushing out a large config like that again, im sure there will be an open sys engineer position at my company.
Enash
Occasional Contributor

bumping this thread to see if someone can answer my question above?