Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753844 Members
7277 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help needed with IAP / SIM setup

Help needed with IAP / SIM setup

I have installed HP SIM 5.3.1. (System Insight Manager) into my local desktop (win xp / sp3), and trying to configure with IAP 2.0. IAP (Integrated Archive Platform) is an archive solution from HP.

From SIM-end following things were configured,

a. "iap.mib" was copied to corresponding mibs directory, "C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\mibs"

b. "iap.mib" was successfully compiled (mcompile)

c. "iap.mib" was successfully registered (mxmib)

Still, I am not able to receive expected pingfailure trap in SIM. Can anyone plesae tell me whetehr any configuration is missed from SIM end.
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Not sure what you mean by a ping failure trap.
Ping and snmp are quite different.

Can you explain in a bit more detail what you're expecting to see and where.

adding few more details..

1. I am simulating ping failures from IAP end, and expecting SIM could receive this SNMP trap. This pingfailure trap defined in "iap.mib".

2. SIM able to identify IAP server when I tried discovery from SIM portal (options - discovery / https://localhost:50000/mxportal/home/MxPortalFrames.jsp).

3. I have also modified event filter settings, so that SIM could receive unregistered events for this system (options - evenets - event filter settings / https://localhost:50000/mxportal/home/MxPortalFrames.jsp)

4. Please find attached mib
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

HP SIM polls servers using Ping (and other protocols) if the system is not there it generates an event internally. SNMP is not involved in this and no snmp trap is generated.

SNMP is used when the agents on a server detect an error, they send an SNMP Trap to HP SIM. And from there HP SIM generates the event.

SNMP is used for identification, but agains snmp traps themselves aren't used.

I am trying to configure SIM to receive SNMP traps from IAP. In this case, IAP is managed system, and it would generate SNMP trap. I have configured external SNMP server (SIM) in IAP, so that IAP could send SNMP traps to SIM.

IAP will send SNMP trap to external SNMP servers (SIM), if one of its internal subsystem is not pingable. I am testing whether SIM receives this SNMP trap from IAP.

In my previous post, I have also uploaded "IAP.mib" file, where this pingfailure trap defined, and I have also mentioned SIM specific configuration.