4774 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help required SIM 5.3

mysuleiman
Occasional Advisor

Help required SIM 5.3

Hi,

I am new to Insight manager and have recently been assigned a task.

I need to ensure that all our servers are being monitored by insight manager and the servers are a mix between win200, win 2003 and win 2008. I am haveing trouble understanding the product. ie how to install the agent and I can only finfd the full software download. What is a baseline, what is the repository. What version of SIM to install on win200 servers. Can someone please give me a link to a website where I can find a dummies guide to insight manager. I am using 5.3.

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

A couple of questions.
Are these HP Servers?
Were they built using Smart Start?

Your jump off for all HPSIM info is www.hp.com/go/hpsim - follow the link to the Reference Library.
There's an Install and Config guide, there's also a guide to setting up in a small environment - maybe a good start. They're HP SIM 6.0, but will be close enough.

You can monitor just up / down. No agents required, any kind of device.
The agents included in the Proliant Support Pack - PSP are used to monitor the hardware. These send snmp traps back to HPSIM. The PSP also contains drivers.

HPSIM can also have a repository (of PSPs) which can be used to update servers. A baseline is a reference point that you set.

For older W2K servers, go to www.hp.com and select Software, enter a server model and then select the software. You'll see the latest version of the PSP you can use there.
mysuleiman
Occasional Advisor

Some of the servers where built using the smartstart CD but most are built with ghost images. I will look at the links you have sent me.

Many thanks for your prompt response