4075 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help with "SNMP Service Properties" "Traps" Tab

Darren Z
Frequent Advisor

Help with "SNMP Service Properties" "Traps" Tab

Help with "SNMP Service Properties" "Traps" Tab

You can specify a Community String and with each Community String you can set the Trap Destinations. What should be here?

The Read_Only Community String for SIM?
The Read_Write Community String for SIM?
or Both?

The Trap Destination should be the SIM server?

I am confused between this Tab and the Security Tab where you specify the Community Strings and Destinations as well.

7 REPLIES 7
jfranciskay
Advisor

Basically, the Traps tab is for outbound and the Security tab is for inbound.

The Traps tab is used for sending alerts to your SIM (or other) console when there is a problem. For example a disk drive failure. You should be able to use either Read/Create or Read/Write.

The security tab is for when the SIM console intiates a task such as data collection or HW status. You SIM server has to be configured with the Security Community String in order to sucessfully gather this data.
Darren Z
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the quick response and the helpfull information.

Does it really need read/write or read/create if its just sending information to SIM (i.e. my hard drive failed). I believe SIM is recieving all the traps with just the Read_Only string, but wanted to make sure I was missing some functionality by not using Read_Write or Read_Create.
Scott_278
Valued Contributor

I believe a Read-Create string is required if you want the ability to clear the SMH logs.
Ferry Steenvoorde
Valued Contributor

A lot is already said about SNMP, but just to be complete:

The Community used at the Traps-tab will be used for sending traps (like: Disk Failure) from the Managed Server to the HPSIM-server. As this is just sending information and not doing anything else, READ-ONLY access is enough.
Trap Destination is the HPSIM-server.

The Security-tab is used for Incoming SNMP-traffic. There wil be only Incoming SNMP-traffic in the following occasions:
-Cleaning up some logs, like the IML
-Setting thresholds for disk space or processor load in the SMH Performance tabs.

As you see, incoming SNMP-traffic always requires some Write action on the Managed System, so here at least a READ-WRITE community is required. READ-ONLY is useless, READ-CREATE a bit overkill.

For simplicity you might use only one SNMP-Community name for everything, with READ-WRITE access on Managed Systems.

If you enter two (or more) Community-names at the Traps-tab, with Trap Destination the same server, you will get two (or more) traps for the same event on your HPSIM-server.
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Scott_278
Valued Contributor

Wow, is this really true?

"If you enter two (or more) Community-names at the Traps-tab, with Trap Destination the same server, you will get two (or more) traps for the same event on your HPSIM-server."

I don't know that I've ever seen that statement anywhere before. Can someone confirm?
tmagee
Valued Contributor

As regards the two community name traps, I used to have that when first setting up SIM and would get duplicate traps received. If the destination for these community names is set as the same (ip) and SIM is set to receive from these same community events then both will get received.

No benefit to receiving both, just these names happened to be already set on the servers I was looking at so set SIM to use both.