4890 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help with several insight issues

Robie-Wan
Occasional Advisor

Help with several insight issues

Hi all,

We are running an Insight Manager that I inherited when I came aboard, and while I have been able to figure a lot of it out, I am still having issues getting some servers to be added to the inventory of systems.

If I try the machines as an individual discovery, I get this:

********* Significant issues and overall target discovery/identification           status: Critical: The managed system is not reachable.

********* Additional results (listed for information only):

Critical: The managed system is not reachable.         * Running system Manage Communication diagnosis...         * System identification finished on system.

I can ping them, remote to them, the firewall is off, and have proper admin accounts associated with the machines set in Insight.. I can't tell what is causing the failure.

The machines involved are all physical servers, either onsite or connected via PTP connections, HP proliant systems of various models.

OS is windows 2k3 and newer, with a couple Linux boxes tossed in there too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
ts98

have you resterted the HP services on the target machines?

xismsou
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

How are you discover the system, with @ip or dns ?

Are you try to connect the SMH on the target system ?

shocko
Honored Contributor

YOu need to tell us the global protocol settings config on the CMS,

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Robie-Wan
Occasional Advisor

All,

thanks for the replies. I was out of the office so I wasn't able to reply sooner.

The machines showed up on subsequent auto-scans I had set up. Apparently they just weren't responsive in the beginning.

Thanks!
Paul Kurtz
HPE Pro

Correct, WLAN devices can take longer.  You can adjust your timeouts under Global Protocols Settings under Options in HP SIM.  This will not affect anything except take a little longer discovering systems via WLAN.

I am a HPE Employee
Robie-Wan
Occasional Advisor

Paul,

Interestingly none of the devices are wireless.

Now, insight is having issues grabbing information from some of the machines.

Windows hosts (2003, 2008, 2008r2) are giving the the following:

********* Significant issues and overall target discovery/identification           status: Major:    The system cannot be identified properly for HP SIM to manage;           unable to get one or more of the following: model, serial number or           unique identifier (UUID). For management processors, verify the           system is running the latest firmware. For Linux based operating           systems, you must have dmidecode installed, enable the           PermitRootLogin and PasswordAuthentication in sshd, and use root           sign-in credential. For HP-UX, verify the sign-in credential. For           Windows, check if WMIMapper is configured correctly on the CMS and           verify the sign-in credential. Normal:   Identification status is only available for servers, workstations,           or desktops, where monitoring is enabled.

* Starting identification process...         * Checking for known running web servers...         * Checking for SNMP protocol support on system... Normal:   The system did not respond to SNMP. Verify security settings and           community strings in Options->Security->Credentials->System           Credentials         * Running HP ProLiant management agent identification... Normal:   The system does not support SNMP.         * Running SNMP base cluster identification using common cluster           MIB... Normal:   This system is identified as an MSCS cluster so skipping the           Cluster SNMP identification.         * Checking for WBEM protocol support on system... Minor:    This system does not have any SMI-S CIMOMs installed. No storage           systems will be found on this system. Minor:    The Central Management System (CMS) cannot communicate with the           CIMOM locally installed on the managed system using the WBEM           protocol, Identification will try to identify Windows systems using           the WMI Mapper as proxy; for Linux and HP-UX systems, check           credentials by going to Options->Security->Credentials->System           Credentials. For Linux systems also check if the HP WBEM provider           is installed.         * Running WBEM rules based identification... Minor:    Identification cannot get computer system hardware data from the           WBEM / WMI providers.         * Running Virtual Machine (VM) Host (non HP Integrity VM Host)           Identification... Normal:   The system is not a VM Host (non HP Integrity VM Host), or WBEM           credentials may not be specified so skipping VM Identification.         * Running Storage identification...         * Did not detect the WBEM protocol support on this system. SMI           storage identification will be skipped.         * Storage identification completed.         * Running HP NetServer identification... Normal:   The system does not support SNMP.         * Running HP-UX SNMP identification... Normal:   The system does not support SNMP.         * Running OA Identifier which will discover systems in an enclosure           if the automatic enclosure discovery option for OA is enabled... Normal:   The system is not an Onboard Administrator, skipping automatic           discovery of systems in the enclosure.         * Running XMLReply Identifier which will discover systems in a           rack/enclosure if the automatic discovery option for the container           node is enabled...         * Running iLO Identifier which will discover the server if the           automatic server discovery option for iLO is enabled... Minor:    The system responds to the HTTP request but cannot get the XML           output. It is normal for servers not to get the XML data.         * Running p-Class Identifier... Normal:   The system is not a p-Class so skipping p-Class identification.         * Running IPMI protocol identification... Normal:   IPMI protocol not detected so skipping IPMI Identification.         * Running SSH Protocol identification... Minor:    The system(s) do not have Secure Shell (SSH) installed or it is not           running on the managed system(s).         * Running SSH Identification... Normal:   SSH Protocol is not enabled so skipping SSH Identification.         * Running WS-Man identification... Minor:    The system did not respond to WS-Management (WS-Man) request.         * Running Monarch OA Identification... Normal:   The system is not a monarch OA so skipping monarch OA           identification.         * Checking for System Management Homepage and other HP web agents... Normal:   The system is not a server, storage or desktop. Skipping the check           for System Management Homepage.         * Running HP Serviceguard Identification...         * Running SNMP System Type manager ... Normal:   The system does not support SNMP.         * Running SNMP subtypes identification...         * Resolving DNS names... Normal:   The fully qualified domain name was successfully resolved for the           system.         * Checking if the Node is a Virtual Center... Normal:   Skipping MxVirtualCenter Identifier.         * Running Virtual Machine Management (VMM) Plug-in Identification...         * Building system relationships... Minor:    System Management Homepage (SMH) is not installed or is not           responding on the system(s).         * Running system Manage Communication diagnosis...         * System identification finished on system.

The machines have SNMP running and "public" set to read only in SNMP security.

VMWare hosts (they are hp machines) are showing skipped and giving me the following

* Starting identification process...         * Checking for known running web servers...         * Checking for SNMP protocol support on system... Normal:   The system did not respond to SNMP. Verify security settings and           community strings in Options->Security->Credentials->System           Credentials         * Running HP ProLiant management agent identification... Normal:   The system does not support SNMP.         * Running SNMP base cluster identification using common cluster           MIB... Normal:   This system is identified as an MSCS cluster so skipping the           Cluster SNMP identification.         * Checking for WBEM protocol support on system... Minor:    This system does not have any SMI-S CIMOMs installed. No storage           systems will be found on this system. Minor:    The Central Management System (CMS) cannot communicate with the           CIMOM locally installed on the managed system using the WBEM           protocol, Identification will try to identify Windows systems using           the WMI Mapper as proxy; for Linux and HP-UX systems, check           credentials by going to Options->Security->Credentials->System           Credentials. For Linux systems also check if the HP WBEM provider           is installed.         * Running WBEM rules based identification... Minor:    Identification cannot get computer system hardware data from the           WBEM / WMI providers.         * Running Virtual Machine (VM) Host (non HP Integrity VM Host)           Identification... Normal:   The system is not a VM Host (non HP Integrity VM Host), or WBEM           credentials may not be specified so skipping VM Identification.         * Running Storage identification...         * Did not detect the WBEM protocol support on this system. SMI           storage identification will be skipped.         * Storage identification completed.         * Running HP NetServer identification... Normal:   The system does not support SNMP.         * Running HP-UX SNMP identification... Normal:   The system does not support SNMP.         * Running OA Identifier which will discover systems in an enclosure           if the automatic enclosure discovery option for OA is enabled... Normal:   The system is not an Onboard Administrator, skipping automatic           discovery of systems in the enclosure.         * Running XMLReply Identifier which will discover systems in a           rack/enclosure if the automatic discovery option for the container           node is enabled...         * Running iLO Identifier which will discover the server if the           automatic server discovery option for iLO is enabled... Minor:    The system responds to the HTTP request but cannot get the XML           output. It is normal for servers not to get the XML data.         * Running p-Class Identifier... Normal:   The system is not a p-Class so skipping p-Class identification.         * Running IPMI protocol identification... Normal:   IPMI protocol not detected so skipping IPMI Identification.         * Running SSH Protocol identification... Minor:    The system(s) do not have Secure Shell (SSH) installed or it is not           running on the managed system(s).         * Running SSH Identification... Normal:   SSH Protocol is not enabled so skipping SSH Identification.         * Running WS-Man identification... Minor:    The system did not respond to WS-Management (WS-Man) request.         * Running Monarch OA Identification... Normal:   The system is not a monarch OA so skipping monarch OA           identification.         * Checking for System Management Homepage and other HP web agents... Normal:   The system is not a server, storage or desktop. Skipping the check           for System Management Homepage.         * Running HP Serviceguard Identification...         * Running SNMP System Type manager ... Normal:   The system does not support SNMP.         * Running SNMP subtypes identification...         * Resolving DNS names...         * Checking if the Node is a Virtual Center... Normal:   Skipping MxVirtualCenter Identifier         * Running Virtual Machine Management (VMM) Plug-in Identification...         * System did not pass the discovery filter and will not be added.

What can I do or set so these will work? I'm still kinda new to this..

Thanks

Sands15
Frequent Advisor

HI,

check all the connectivity from CMS server to your HP server.
Try accessing SMH homepage of HP server from CMS server.
Try to ping server.
Check SNMP setiings weather its configure correctly or not.