1751931 Members
4889 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Hostnames in HP SIM 5.2 loose their FQDNs after detection

MBock

Hostnames in HP SIM 5.2 loose their FQDNs after detection

Hello experts,

we updated our HP SIM to version 5.2 SP2. Since that time, existing systems loose their FQDNs, which I use to filter them. Direclty after detection, the system remains with the correct fully stated FQDN - after at least two hours, the FQDN is gone. Automatic discovery process is disabled. Servers are DL380 G3, G4 and G5, no difference in that.

We tested with the flag "Prevent the Discovery process from changing this system name" under system properties. This seems to help, but as I have to manage around 500 systems, I'm not willing to manually set this to all machines. I have around 40-50 machines affected by this symptom. Please state any ideas. Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Hostnames in HP SIM 5.2 loose their FQDNs after detection

In the past I've had issues with the Daily System Identification task causing similar issues. It sometimes seemed to conflict with other tasks.
As a result I tend to disable it.
Charlie88
Occasional Advisor

I have the same issue and again don't want to have to manually set this on 100s of systems.

If I add a new host using my FQDN, it gets added but the name truncated to the hostname (non-FQDN) only.

Did you ever get a real "fix" for this or did you resort to the manual config on each system?

Thanks.
MBock

To be honest, we still have this problem occuring. I still do the "manual job" everytime I find a machine affected by this effect.

To answer your question, no, there never was a real case with hp and a proper solution for that.
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

I had a problem with the FQDN being changed to the serial number of the server (in SIM). Not sure if that is what you mean....

We also saw issues with the same server name showing up twice.

Both of these problems were "addressed" by turning off the option "Automatically discover a system when an event is received from it". I read somewhere this is a known bug with 5.2 SP2 and that HP was working on it.

Anyway, since disabling this option, both problems have disappeared. I am waiting for 5.3 or hotfix from HP before I turn this option on again.

Nelson
Charlie88
Occasional Advisor

I upgraded to 5.3 and still had similar problems - i.e. couldn't click through to SMH on managed nodes. I finally found an option tucked away:

Options - Security - System Link Configuration

The default on mine was set to "Use the system name". I changed this to "Use the system's full DNS name" and all my links now work.

However I still need to manually edit the system properties for every server to list it using the FQDN in SIM