Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753872 Members
7406 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How can I access diagnostic info using iLO (HP Proliant 360/380)?

NeWITGuy

How can I access diagnostic info using iLO (HP Proliant 360/380)?

I need to monitor several Proliant 360 and 380 servers, and I would like to be able to detect problems before they become severe. Using iLO, can I access diagnostics such as fans (on/off), temperature, hard drive failures, and other such data points?

Thanks for any help.
4 REPLIES 4
fred Passeron
HPE Pro

hi

The ilo2 has some capabilities in terms of hardware management. It can inform you of the status of the Fans, temperature, cpu, memory...

It can forward snmp traps to a management console also.

But you need to be more precise in your description :
1/you want to monitor the servers through their respective ilos ? without any central management server (HP SIM server for instance)
2/you want to monitor the servers using insight agents without any central management server (HP SIM server for instance)
3/you want to monitor the servers and you lack info on how to achieve this ?

hard drive failures can not be detected by the ilo itself, these failures are detected by insight agents. They generate alerts that the ilo can forward if you it to do so...

For the time being, one would need both the agents and Ilo to monitor properly a server in conjunction with the SIM server.

Depending on the amopunt of servers and the level of management you expect, you may consider using only the Insight Agents (if you have only a few servers , less than 10, and if you are only interested in recieving hardware errors). They can send email notifications on HW failures by themselves...

Hope it helps

fred
тАЬLife is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.тАЭ Isaac Asimov
NeWITGuy

I guess my situation is #3 above :)
I have an additional management server, with SIM installed. Is that enough to retreive the info I want?

I haven't dealt with SNMP in a long time. If I want to forward SNMP traps, I need an SNMP application, right?

I would like to collect information before failures occur. For example, I want to know if a fan fails or if excess heat is building up.

Thanks.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

in that case have a look at the getting started in a smaller windows environment guide and also follow the system management homepage for hp proliant link here :-

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/infolibrary.html#b2

if you already have hp sim are these servers not in it ?

hth

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

You have most of what you want.
HPSIM uses the standard Windows SNMP Handlers.

On the non-HPSIM Servers the Trap destination in the SNMP Service is configured to point to the HPSIM Server.

If you've built the servers using smart start or installed the Proliant Support pack then the agents that monitor for hardware issues are there.
They pass their alerts to the snmp handler which sends the trap to HPSIM. That interprets the trap and generates and Event.

You then configure the event handler to e-mail etc.