Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1747984 Members
4727 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How do I set Disk thresholds on VM clients?

Jason Salgado
Regular Advisor

How do I set Disk thresholds on VM clients?

We have a very large ESX environment and I would like to monitor Disk thresholds on the clients. I am running HP SIM 5.3 and it sees the VM clients, but when I go into the System Management Homepage on the local VM machine, I don't have a lot of options.
The VM Clients were all made from a template so I'm guessing they are all running older PSPs.
What do I need to be able to manage VMs? Do I need HP Virtual Machine Management Software? I can't even get to the documentation for it because the link it broken. For right now I just want some additional features for the VM Clients in our environment.
3 REPLIES 3
shocko
Honored Contributor

There is no PSP (Proliant being the key word here!) for Virtual machines. You can deploy the WBEM providers (only certain versions though) and a systems management homepage to the vm's and they will fire events based on thresholds being exceeded. However, SIM doesn't seem to subscribe to wbem events on vm machines for some reason. I can├в t see any logical reason for this; more that they want you to pay for the Virtual Machine manager.

Maybe I am wrongs on this but there are a few threads open on this issue with no definitive answer.

I have one open myself:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1364337
If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Jason Salgado
Regular Advisor

Right, with WBEM there are no disk thresholds that can be set. Only when you use SNMP. The problem is with our environment with a few hundred VMs, we are finding they are running out of hdd space too late, when they are 100% full.
shocko
Honored Contributor

well, actually you can set disk thresholds but sim seems to igonore the wbem subscription!

If you write your own wmi comsumer it works!
If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)