Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753481 Members
5159 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How does SIM identifies in what server an ILO is?

Ulf Zimmermann
Frequent Advisor

How does SIM identifies in what server an ILO is?

I got one ILO where SIM refuses to identify the server correctly. The server used to be called "dbprd04", but now is called "dbrac04". And SIM still identifies this ILO to be in "dbprd04". When I log into ilo itself, it does correctly "dbrac04". Because of this SIM shows the server "dbrac04" not to have a management processor, even when it does.
2 REPLIES 2
Matthew J Warrick
Frequent Advisor

I'm not sure if this is true for every server model and ilo version but the way SIM seems to know what ilo belongs where is by using the UUID which is a combination of the 6-digit partno and the serial number of the server. The server's UUID is then prepended with "ILO" and that is what is returned in the XML reply by the ILO.

I had to recently manually edit this information in bl460p firmware of a newly delivered blade server since it was missing for some reason. If the motherboard is replaced, the serial number will have to be updated manually in the RBSU and the partno will have to be verified as well. Upon boot the UUID will be updated to refect the changes and the ilo will update it's UUID accordingly.

I hope that helps more than it confuses. ;)
"Did you get that memo?"
Matthew J Warrick
Frequent Advisor

Also, when I'm having hostname issues, sometimes just removing and rediscovering the devices will clear it up.
"Did you get that memo?"