Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1751771 Members
4446 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How does SIM monitor Hyper-V virtual machine guests?

jason liu_2
Advisor

How does SIM monitor Hyper-V virtual machine guests?

In the SIM I can see all the virtual machine guests associated with my Hyper-V hosts. But SIM doesn't have any information about any guest's IP address. I'm assuming without knowing the IP of guests, SIM won't be able to monitor them. Do I need to install any extra components like "Virtual Machine Management Pack"(which is not free I think) to be able to monitor the guests in SIM or I'm missing some configuration? Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
jason liu_2
Advisor

Just want to give an update on this issue if someone else is looking to do the same thing. I couldn't find a solution so I went into the SQL database manually added the IP addresses for those virtual servers.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

We don't use Hyper-V, we use VMware but the process should be the same. Under Options->Discovery under Configure general Settings there's a check box to discover VMs via the Host.
Your DNS also needs to be working so that the VM names / IP address lookups work.
Best way to get more infor (for Windosw VMs) is to set up some credentials that will allow access. So wbem should be able to get some rudimentary info.
You don't need VMM unless you want a lot more integration into SIM.