108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How often do you run discovery?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sander-A
Advisor

How often do you run discovery?

We run into issues where discovery is constantly renaming domain controllers and anything else that has multiple dns names even if we tell SIM not to allow discovery to change the fields. I'm thinking about moving to manual discovery, but I'm not sure if it will hurt hardware polling.

11 REPLIES 11
Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: How often do you run discovery?

Hi,

you can disable the autimatic discovery, it will not effect hardware status polling.

Edit System Page: Has a option to discourage discovery from changing the name and IP.

if it helped, award me Kudos or Points. Thanks :)

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

shocko
Honored Contributor

So you have systems in a forest with multuple domains? How come a single DC has multiple DNS names?

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
J_N_Rhodes
Valued Contributor

@ Shocko - Can we run discovery from HP SIM for 5000 servers at a single time? or there is any restriction on the limit?

shocko
Honored Contributor

Running discovery on that many systems might take some time (hours) depending on the protocols used during discovery. How dynamic is your environment? I would break up the discoveries into maybe 5 seperate discovery tasks staggered at different time intervals.

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Sander-A
Advisor

The reason I'm asking is our environment isn't that dynamic on the hardware level as most of our new machines are vms. I'd like to reduce discovery to once a week or maybe even a month, but I was wondering if it affected monitoring at all.

As for the domain controllers having multiple names, they don't, but there are srv records for the domain which discovery somehow keeps assigning to random dcs. It could be because we are not using Windows for DNS, but regardless I just want to stop having to correct it.

Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

5000 Discoveries at a single time: Yes this is very well possible, but the catch is it will be scheduled / sized into blocks of 10 at a time.  When one is done, other gets pulled in  from the pack.

/ Tushar

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

J_N_Rhodes
Valued Contributor

ThatтАЩs great!
I guess, Block of 10 means - 10 IP's at a time will be discovered but one can put IP's for all 5000 machines at a time?

i have an environment of around 10000 servers(Windows/Non-Windows) in multiple domains, say around 5 & with more than 150+ sites....What could be a best move here?

Also, IтАЩm not sure why we are counting the protocols used for discovery? I guess, its only 1 advisable by default i.e. SNMP

Regards

Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

HP SIM supports 5,000 servers (physical or VMs) - up to10,000 devices . You can look for Fedrated Search option with multiple CMS to manage.

- Yes, all 5000 can be put at one time but it is doing to take time to complete.

- Yes, 10 IP are discovered.

- SNMP is light weight as compared to WBEM. But WBEM is prefered protocol.

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

J_N_Rhodes
Valued Contributor

Ok. Thank you Tushar

How often one should run the discovery task? Is there are any best practices?

Regards