108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How's it supposed to work?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Greg Hopp
Occasional Advisor

How's it supposed to work?

Hi folks, there is one thing I don't understand, hoping someone will explain it to me or point me to a resource.

We use SIM 4.1 SP1 for Windows. Whenever there are software updates, I go into each server's VCA, one by one, and update all the new releases, again one by one.

This is labor intensive. Is there a way to do bulk updates or just a "better way to do it?"

Even with a single update such as the latest System Management Homepage 2.1.4.143, with 15 servers it's going to take awhile to update them all one by one.

Thank you in advance,

Greg
3 REPLIES 3
Craig McK
Trusted Contributor

Hi Greg,

Have you tried using:
Deploy -> Deploy Drivers, Firmware & Agents -> Install Software & Firmware?

This should let you install specific components from within the Repository to a number of different servers, such as all W2k3 or all W2k..

I believe you could also try compiling the new components required into a custom software baseline and roll this out?
Greg Hopp
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Craig, I haven't tried that approach. I am just curious what approach you use?
Craig McK
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Personally I updated the SMH & VCA on each server so they were all the same level - found it much easier after that to use the Deploy feature =)
I now tend to test 1 or 2 updates on a server to see if they need a reboot, and if not then roll them out using Deploy to specific model groups..