New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to Configure Server Threshold Settings in HP SIM 5.1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jesse Zellmer
Frequent Advisor

How to Configure Server Threshold Settings in HP SIM 5.1

Hello -

I have read that you are able to configure HP SIM to monitor and send alerts when threshold settings are reached (CPU, memory, etc...) and then send an email on that, if you have that piece configured.

We have mostly ProLiant servers, and I would like to get alerts if threshold settings are met, like CPU usage above 80%.

I have NOT been able to find any documentation, though, on how to configure this. Any help or a link to documentation would be greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Rancher
Honored Contributor

To set the CPU alerts, go to the system homepage, Operating Systems, Processors. You can set your CPU usage thresholds here.
Jesse Zellmer
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for your response Rancher.

A follow up question to that is, whats the difference between setting the threshold via SMH - Operating System - Processor and setting it via CMS Console - Configure - Disk Thresholds - Set Disk Thresholds...?

Also, if I set the thresholds via either the SMH or CMS, will I get an alert if a threshold is reached, if I have an SNMP Trap setup to go to the CMS?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

SMH is one at a time...CMS will do multiple units...
Neysters, Lutz
Frequent Advisor
Solution

- the difference between ...
Setting the disk tresholds via SMH makes it possible to set different thresholds for different partitions.
If you don't have Java installed on the managed server, you can't set thresholds locally. If you open its SMH on a monitoring client, you can. Our servers are all without any Java.

- If a disk threshold is reached, you will get an alert like this on the CMS:
"
Event Severity Critical
Cleared Status Not cleared
Event Source server11
Associated System server1
Associated System Status Normal
Event Time Tue, 6/26/2007, 10:14:01 PM CEST
Description Rising Threshold passed. An alarm entry has crossed its rising threshold. The instances of those objects contained within the variable list are those of the alarm entry which generated this trap.
Assignee
Comments
The value of the object identifier (cpqMeAlarmVariable) during the last sampling period... 89
A threshold for the sampled object identifier (cpqMeAlarmVariable)... 89
This string contains meaningful information about the MIB variable which has the threshold set upon it... D: [NTFS] disk space
"

Jesse Zellmer
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for the responce. I was playing around this setting thresholds via SMH and via CMS and its looking good.

Thank you for your help!
Jesse Zellmer
Frequent Advisor

See above responses.