1754018 Members
7942 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to Install SIM53 where MSDE already runs

MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

How to Install SIM53 where MSDE already runs

An app already on my server runs MSDE with its own named Instance. I thought to install SIM53 I could select the option "Install and use SQL Express", because I've read that SQL Server Express and MDSE can coexist. But it replies "The instance you have selected belongs to a MSDE database and this configuration is not allowed". I kept "Install and use SQL Express", selected "Use this one:" and put in a name SQLSERVER for its instance. It replied "The instance names 'default' and 'sqlexpress' cannot be used. Pease specify a different instance name."

Should I be selecting "Use SQL/SQL Express"? Will SIM 53 use the older MSDE? If I get two apps using the same MSDE, I worry some day one app's upgrade will insist on upgrading the SQL, and that will break the other app.
2 REPLIES 2
MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

Re: How to Install SIM53 where MSDE already runs

On further testing: I try "Install and use SQL Express" and "Use this one:" set to HPSQL, install got going, but ended at "Unable to connect to the specified host. Please check the Host, Database and Port values provided." I tried again with "Use this one:" set to SQLSERVER. Installation got to "SQL Server w005 Express installation failed with exit code: 1706". I'm working. Any ideas, I'd like to hear them.
MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

Re: How to Install SIM53 where MSDE already runs

Microsoft and my app vendor both said "No problem" putting SQL 2005 Express on the same server as MSDE. HP SIM support said "Won't work", setup will want to upgrade the MSDE; but if you really want to, install the SQL 2005 Express separately, then run the HPSIM setup and see if it finds the SQL 2005. I don't like taking chances, so I found a remote full SQL 2005 touse instead.