5133 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to capture failed Hard drives in SIM

Mark Livingstone
Occasional Contributor

How to capture failed Hard drives in SIM

Hello All -

How do I configure SIM to capture failed hard drives ? I am currently running sim 4.2.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How to capture failed Hard drives in SIM

Have u installed & configured agents on your target servers?
Craig McK
Trusted Contributor

Hiya,

Albert's right - you'll need the Insight Agents installed on each server you want to monitor, as well as configuring SNMP on them to send traps to your SIM server.

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Just to add, it can also depend on where the disks are: EVA? MSA? Local? other?
Mark Livingstone
Occasional Contributor

Umm - That is a good question. I am currently receiving alerts for controller cards, nics and all other hardware except for the hard drives. Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right location. I would like to capture internal hard drives and also hard drives on the external enclosure (msa). I would hate to have to install out to 1200 servers. That would be a project by itself which would leave me to abandon this idea. I am just trying to be proactive since we have servers at a co-location and also on site.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

If you are talking about hard drives in Servers then yes, you will need the agents installed and configured.

It is these that pick up and send the alerts to HPSIM.
Steve Kadish
Trusted Contributor

Hi Mark,

If you are receiving all alerts except for hard drive alerts, you might need to update your MIBs from the HP Web site. I remember that there were changes in the storage MIBs a few months back.

Good luck,
- Steve

kc2kth
Frequent Advisor

My understanding of Windows SNMP behavior was that the "physical" option had to be turned on in the SNMP service configuration for reporting of failed devices such as disks. However, after reading through another thread here yesterday I'm no longer 100% certain that is the case.