1748054 Members
4441 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to configure the "Server role" variable in Linux

Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

How to configure the "Server role" variable in Linux

I'm looking for any additional information on how to set the "Server role" variable in Linux. In Windows it is set via the SMH (and saved in registry). I have no clue how to set this in Linux, so I checked the HP insight management agents whitepaper on hp.com. It just states that

"Server Role тАФ Displays the description of the systemтАЩs role or function. You can also set the Server Role text on
multiple devices by creating a Group Configuration Task in HP Systems Insight Manager. To learn more about
how to set the server role refer to the HP Systems Insight Manager Technical Reference Guide."

So I turned to the sysbook.pdf (a.k.a. HP Systems Insight Manager Technical Reference Guide) on hp.com and it in turn states

"Server Role Criterion
The Server Role criterion is a system or event collection search that enables you to list the servers
of one or more matching roles. The server role is a user-specified value available on HP Insight
Management Agent 5.4 or later."

and

"Server Role. This is a user settable server role from the ProLiant agents and can be set
from the System Management Homepage.
Comments. This is user settable comments from the SNMP or other agents."

But nothing on how this is done in Linux, and since the Linux agent is text bases instead of GUI based as in Windows, is there anyone who could tell me how to configure the Linux settings, what to enter and where ?
13 REPLIES 13
Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

Actually, if you install the ProLiant Support Pack on your linux server (not sure what OS you are running) then you will get the System Mgmt Homepage there too and you can set it via that method. If SMH is installed, then you can also use HP SIM to set it remotely via the Replicate Agent Settings task (we renamed Group Config from IM7 days).

thanks.
Ananthak23
Trusted Contributor

I dont think "Server Role" field is available for Linux. It's in Windows only as far as I know.

-Anantha
Ananthak23
Trusted Contributor

I don't think "Server Role" field is available for Linux. It's available in Windows only as far as I know.

-Anantha
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Darrin, yes I have the SMH on my Linuxserver, see attached screenshot, could you please tell me where/how to set the value ?

Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Oh, and for comparison, here's a screenshot from the windowsagent
Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

From the name of the server you blanked, it shows ESX. Is it a linux (RH or SuSe) or an ESX box? It matters...

Thanks.
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Linux RedHat
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Darrin, any ideas ?
Mark Wolf_2
Advisor