5971 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to configure the "Server role" variable in Linux

Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Not quite dead, just forgotten :-)

I have actually managed to configure the Linux agents. While not possible from within the agent itself the settings that are being used can be saved and used by SIM.

All you need to do is put the "Server Role" in the cpqhosystemrole.dat file and restart cmahostd.

Example:

$ echo "My Linux Web Server" >>/var/spool/compaq/hpasm/registry/cpqhosystemrole.dat

$ /opt/compaq/foundation/etc/cmahostd restart
M Gand

Hi,

I'm trying to achieve exactly this on Redhat clients, though very limited (none except for this thread) information about it. :(

after the two steps:
- /var/spool/compaq/hpasm/registry/cpqhosystemrole.dat
- $ /opt/hp/hp-snmp-agents/server/etc/cmahostd restart

where can I find the value in SIM for the specific client?

Best regards / MG
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Hehe, this takes me a while back, and I'm not even sure if it still works in the current version of SIM but as far as I remember it did show up in the same place as for Windows hosts, i.e. when viewing properties for a machine, expand "Product Description" and there should be a field for "Server Role", (at least there still is for Windows).

Our current Linux requirements have changed due to the nature of this "fix" being so undocumented and hard to get any real info on so we no longer rely on it, so I'm sorry I can't get you any more details on Linux.
M Gand

Thanks for the feedback!

I can't understand why a function like that wouldn't be available for Linux hosts. The next step is to change available subtypes in the database... :P

Cheers!