Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748219 Members
4714 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to get SIM 6.0 to identify Hyper-V hosts ?

Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

How to get SIM 6.0 to identify Hyper-V hosts ?

My SIM 6.0 installation detects MS Virtual Server and VMware ESX as well as VMWare Server (for Windows) and uses the System Subtype field for this information, which is selected into some views in SIM (not sure whether they are default or we created them, anyway it simply selects all systems with subtypes = Virtual Machine Host)

But SIM does not detect Windows 2008 (R2) machines running the Hyper-V host role, is there any way to get this information into SIM and if so how ?
4 REPLIES 4
Nicolai Rasmussen
Regular Advisor

I have the same issue.

It would be nice to get a comment from the experts on this.

Anyone?
MDS-ALPA
Frequent Advisor

Are they HP Proliant Servers (the hosts) for HyperV? Mine are DL380 G5's and G6's and they do report. They were installed with SmartStart and have current Proliant Support Packs on them, which means they have SNMP configured (which I modify) as well as the various HP Agents.
You have to be careful with Hyper-V systems as far as the Mgmt IP/NIC. Know which one it is? Sometimes the NIC 1-4 assignments can be in an order that is based on hardware designations not as we view them.
Nicolai Rasmussen
Regular Advisor

The only way I could get it to work, was to install WBEM on the Hyper-V hosts (all Proliant servers), and add correct credentials under the global credentials tab.

I'd really like for this to work with SNMP only though...
jbonnema
Occasional Advisor

Nicolai Rasmussen, From my point, it looks like everything is moving more torwards WEBEM since it's more secure, Since most SMNP is v1.0 it sends everything cleartext, in some situations, that's not good. So, if you can use Webem, great, but SNMP dose have it's downsides.