Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to ignore link failure for unused NIC ports ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Granitz
Occasional Visitor

How to ignore link failure for unused NIC ports ?

I have several ProLiant servers running a mix of Windows and NetWare. I am using SIM 5.1. Several of the servers contain NIC's that are no longer being used and have the network cable unplugged. Obviously this throws a health status check in SIM. Is there some way to tell SIM to ignore these NIC's so that we don't see a constant health status problem for a known unplugged cable ?
6 REPLIES
Graeme Bray
Regular Advisor
Solution

Re: How to ignore link failure for unused NIC ports ?

Chris,

What you should do is log onto the server and go to Network Connections (in Windows at least) and disable the NIC cards that are unplugged. This will stop them from showing up in 2381 and in SIM. I'm not familiar with Netware but it should be the same steps.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

The only other option is to get a loopback connector. This can fool the port into thinking there's a live cable there. Doesn't work for ILO ports though.
James Kennedy_5
Regular Advisor

You can also unload the nic agent, the downside is you won't get any reporting on NIC issues.
Chris Granitz
Occasional Visitor

I was able to use a combination of disabling the un-used NIC's and the loopback plugs to clear up all server health status indicators. Thanks to all for your help.
PhilipV_1
Occasional Contributor

Is there an option within the SIM server to just ignore certain "failures"? We have hundreds of servers, many in remote destinations. We only use a single nic, so it is reporting the second one as failed, which isn't true. It is simply unplugged, not failed.

I would not like to disable the nic because the second port is already preconfigured in case the primary actually does die.

It really isn't possible, or a sane solution to mail out loopback devices.

Someone mentioned unloading the HP Nic agent, how would I go about doing this easily?

I would much prefer to simply tell SIM to ignore certain items.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Philip, while you could program an Automatic Event Handling task to automatically clear any link down events received by HP SIM, that isn't going to help you. The agent has an OID called the 'ProLiant Status Array' which contains the health of all of the subsystems. If there is a disconnected NIC, this will be reflected in the overall status which HP SIM retrieves during status polling, and will show as the system's status under the HW column.

In order to disable the NIC agent you would need to visit the HP Management Agents applet in Control Panel and move the "NIC Information" sub-agent from the "Active Agents" to the "Inactive Agents" category on the Services tab.