cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start the SHM with SNMP Service with snmp port changed

KentSi
Occasional Visitor

How to start the SHM with SNMP Service with snmp port changed

The window box is current installed with a monitor software that occupied the udp port 161. And I have to change the window SNMP service with another port, let's say 16161. But the SHM still can't get the information.
3 REPLIES
Predator
Trusted Contributor

Re: How to start the SHM with SNMP Service with snmp port changed

Hi,

There is not enough data in the question, so let me clarify those.
1.Is your SNMP configured?
2. Which version of SMH?
3. If the version is or greater than 3.0, data source value in SMH page is listing as SNMP?
4. After making the port change did you restart SNMP and SMH?

Thanks
Predator
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

I am having a similar problem, so if you find a solution I would be interested in hearing it.

For us, the problem is that some application vendors (I think in the VOIP or other telecommunications fields) install custom SNMP service to provide monitoring for their application (instead of using the built-in Windows SNMP service). Since HP agents require Windows SNMP (if not using WBEM), they fail to start since the custom SNMP disabled the Windows SNMP (do to port conflicts).

If there is a way to allow both the custom SNMP and the Windows SNMP to run at the same time (and hence using different ports) that would solve the problem...and I think that is what KentSi is asking.

Nelson
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I can't see a way of setting any server specific snmp settings other than the community names and retry values.

The following shows how to change the port windows snmp is using;
http://www.paessler.com/support/kb/questions/100

But without being able to change HPSIM for a specific server you cannot do much. You might want to try setting some individual community names and seeing if an XML file gtets updated somewhere. You may be able to further update that.