1748156 Members
4160 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: IBM Servers being monitored by HP SIM

JCW11234
Occasional Visitor

IBM Servers being monitored by HP SIM

In the past my company was strictly an IBM shop.  Now we are buying nothing but HP hardware.  We would like to get rid of IBM Director and rely on HP SIM.  I have SNMP installed on the IBM servers and they are discovered in SIM.  The IBM MIBs are compiled and registered in SIM as well.  However not everything is working like it should.  I successfully receive traps on power supply failures, disk space usage, and fan alerts but when I pull a drive out of an IBM server to simulate a drive failure the server sends a Generic Unregistered trap with the following details:

Variable Description Value NO DATA Enterprise OID String. 1.3.6.1.4.1.795.14.1 Generic Trap ID. 6 Specific Trap ID. 1030
Mib Information
The associated MIB File Name for this trap is cpqgen.mib and the MIB identifier CPQGEN-MIB

This is a list of the IBM MIBs I have registered:

IBM-6611-APPN-MIB.mib
IBM-AIX-MIB.mib
IBM-AS400-RWS-MIB.mib
IBM-Director-Agent-MIB.mib
IBM-Director-Alert-MIB.mib
IBM-Director-Server-MIB.mib
IBM-REC-MIB.mib
IBM-SERVERAID-MIB.mib
IBM-SYSTEM-AGENT-MIB.mib
IBM-SYSTEM-ASSETID-MIB.mib
IBM-SYSTEM-HEALTH-MIB.mib
IBM-SYSTEM-LMSENSOR-MIB.mib
IBM-SYSTEM-MEMORY-MIB.mib
IBM-SYSTEM-MIB.mib
IBM-SYSTEM-NETWORK-MIB.mib
IBM-SYSTEM-POWER-MIB.mib
IBM-SYSTEM-PROCESSOR-MIB.mib
IBM-SYSTEM-TRAP-MIB.mib
IBM-WIN32-MIB.mib
ibmmmalert.mib
ibmserveraid.mib
ibmums.mib
ibmumsevent.mib

I'm running HP SIM 6.3.  The IBM director agents on my test servers are on version 6.2.1.

I know with the event being a generic trap I don't have the correct MIB compiled but I can't find any other IBM MIBs.  Is there something I'm missing?

Any help that would lead me down the right path would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

12 REPLIES 12
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Hi your trap worked as designed It is an Adaptec  Product Trap (see attached picture http://www.oidview.com/mibs/795/ADAPTEC-UNIVERSAL-STORAGE-MIB.htmlYou only need to find the MIBs File with the trap definition and import to SIM. Sometimes a vendor does supplies  incorect or outdated trap information inside the MIB files.

It could be that you will find similar traps in an IBM mib file. Sombody asked something similar about a year ago.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ITRC-HP-Systems-Insight-Manager/MIBS-installed-but-traps-showing-unregistered/m-p/4667647#M41720

khalifaalouini
Advisor

hello,

did your pb resolved.

for your IBM HW , are they with Windows or Linux.

I have the same , trying to add Ibm linux server into HPSIM , I'm receving alerts but the event mapping is not correct , if you look to options --> snmp trap setting  , compiled mibs are empty  ( like IBM-SERVRAID-MIB)

do you have the same ?

thanks

BPE
Esteemed Contributor

OK it should look different more like my picture.

The official interpretation of your snmp trap setting is your original MIB file did not contain trap information

or something went wrong in the mibcompile mxmib load process.

But before you unload and load again the mib/cfg you should select again your mib an wait for about 2-4 minutes. The database access could be the reason for some delay.

If you get the same picture again and no trap selection try first a working event type.

It could be also a browser issue.

If it works for hp event type and not fro some of your mibs something went wrong in the mibcompile and mxmib load process.

Also take care that you do not try to load a mib/cfg file with the same content as already loaded file.

HP has the ibm MIB file în the SIM/mibs folder check with mxmib if it is loaded or not.

JCW11234
Occasional Visitor

Sorry for the lack of update.  I haven't had a chance to mess with it and won't get to until after next week.

khalifaalouini
Advisor

hi

I checked , seems I have already ibmserverraid.mib which is the same content as IBM-SERVERRAID-MIB .

but I stiil have a mapping problem between IBM trap Event severity and HP sim severity,

here is an exemple: HP sim is seeing this event as "Informational" but in the body of trap is critical for a removal of powersupply.

thanks

khalifa

FrItcH
Occasional Contributor

Hi Guys,

I also want to manage my IBM servers with HP Insight Control
I have some bladecenter H with HS21 and HS 22 blades + x3550 and x3650 servers
I would like to know which IBM mibs I must import, and where I can download them.
Can you please help me

thank you in advance,

Richard (from france)

JCW11234
Occasional Visitor

Again, sorry for the late reply.  I did get my problem resolved.  I imported the ADAPTEC-UNIVERSAL-STORAGE-MIB.mib and the trap was recognized.

I downloaded the mib from here: http://www.oidview.com/mibs/795/ADAPTEC-UNIVERSAL-STORAGE-MIB.html

Thanks for your help

khalifaalouini
Advisor

hello,

you can also find IBM mibs once you install the IBM director Agent.

ex: under linux : /opt/ibm/platform/proddata/snmp/uim

my pb is  that I can receive trap event in hpsim but seems the severity is not correct ?

regards

khalifa

teppergt

Hello, you strictly have SNMP installed to the IBM servers?  Is there anything else you need to install?  In HP SIM 6.3, An IBM x3650 shows up as Hardware: x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10 AT/AT COMPATIBLE - Software: Windows Version 5.2 (Build 3790 Multiprocessor Free).