Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICE 3.0-SQL Server 2005-Database Connection Failure

ICE 3.0-SQL Server 2005-Database Connection Failure

Hello:

I am trying to finish a new installation of the "complete" ICE package on a Windows 2008 64-bit connecting to an SQL Server 2005 Database.

I have been unable to get past the Database Configuration portion.

Info:

2008-64 Bit Standard

The Insight Software Advisor has given me a green light on everything thus far, with the expection of a DHCP minor flag. The service account that I am using has dbo rights to the 2005 Server that I am attempting to connect to. I am logged into Windows and attempting the install with the service account which also has local machine administrator rights. I have turned off UAC and the firewall on the server. There is no logging within the event viewer that I can find. I am able to make a System DSN connection to the database without a problem.

I have attached a screenshot of the error message.

Here is the text of the error message:

HP Insight Software Installer

Unable to connect to the specified database. Check the specified hostname, instance name, database and port values. Also, be sure that the SQL Server Browswer Service or SQL Agent is running in the database server.

Is there a log file where I can get more detail regarding this? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Michael Barbere

2 REPLIES
Aravindh Rajaram
Honored Contributor

Re: ICE 3.0-SQL Server 2005-Database Connection Failure

I think you should be using the same account to install SIM as well as connect to DB. See if this works.

Re: ICE 3.0-SQL Server 2005-Database Connection Failure

AMicSys:

"I think you should be using the same account to install SIM as well as connect to DB. See if this works.

----

"The service account that I am using has dbo rights to the 2005 Server that I am attempting to connect to. I am logged into Windows and attempting the install with the service account which also has local machine administrator rights."

I did indicate that I was logging in with a service account and installing the package with that account.

Anyway, I found the solution which was that the user account must have DBA rights on the SQL server in order to install. Also after many attempts my instance name was not what I anticipated. Instead of the instance name ***SQLTC3\SQLTESTC3 I used the instance name of SQLTESTC3 which worked.