5708 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ID'ing VMWare guests

DinoT
Occasional Contributor

ID'ing VMWare guests

Hello all,
I am having some "challenges" with my SIM5.2 sp1 setup. I have no add on packages and am just using the freebies. For the most part, most of my 5000 servers are reporting properly. They all have the HP Insight agents running and they report just fine. I am having issues with VMWare 3.5 guest O/S's. They all report as unknown with no additional info on them. They can communicate via SNMP. I thought that SNMP would be enough to let SIM know the O/S. I took one of my VM's and ran the configure or repair agents tool. I chose: Install WBEM / WMI Provider and then under Configure WBEM / WMI I chose Create subscription to WBEM events and Configure a non-administrative account for HP SIM to access WMI data and entered the appropriate credentials.
After running this I see that the VM now has some software installed including the HP Systems Management Homepage. SIM now shows that it can communicate with this VM via HTTP:, SMH:2.0, SNMP:1.0 whereas before it was only talking SNMP:1.0. But the VM (Running W2K3 standard) still shows as unknown and SIM doesn't know the O/S. But, oddly enough under the Hardware Description it shows: Hardware: x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 8 AT/AT COMPATIBLE - Software: Windows Version 5.2 (Build 3790 Uniprocessor Free).
My questions are:
- How can I get this VM to show up in SIM as a Windows 2003 server?
- Can this be done without having to purchase additional software?

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I just enter credentials in the WEBM box and re-identify.
I enable WEBM globally but don't use global credentials as that has caused issue in the past.
DinoT
Occasional Contributor

Rob,
Thanks for the advice. I tried that and the system still shows up as unknown in SIM. Now when I go to that System Management Homepage for that VM, it doesn't really tell me anything. It is pretty empty. Might that be my problem or is it supposed to be rather empty?

Thanks