1745786 Members
3814 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

IP addresses instead of hostnames appear after Discovery

Andoni Papaleontiou
Occasional Advisor

IP addresses instead of hostnames appear after Discovery

hi all, i am running SIM 5.0 on win2k3, running on an hp dl380 server with sql server 2k installed.

i have created a few automatic discoveries to encompass a few VLANs that contain servers and important machines I would like to be monitored.

the discovery works ok, however for one of the VLANs that are scanned, the hostnames do not appear, only the ip addresses in the 'system name' field.

Is there a way i can make it see the hostnames and display those instead, for printers, servers and workstations in that one VLAN?

Thanks

Andoni
2 REPLIES 2
Aravindh Rajaram
Honored Contributor

Re: IP addresses instead of hostnames appear after Discovery

Make sure that DNS is configured properly.If mxgethostname -n returns FQDN, then HPSIM displays the host name in the UI. Otherwise it displays the IP address as the system name.

You also have the option to edit the system properties and set preferred system name for a managed node. (This can be done from the "Tools & Links" tab of the system page)
Andoni Papaleontiou
Occasional Advisor

Re: IP addresses instead of hostnames appear after Discovery

thanks, i added the hostnames of the printers into DNS and SIM picked them up ok. heaven knows why they didn't register themselves in DNS in the first place though.