Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752815 Members
5992 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: IPM disabled, but still errors: IPM received a management processor error message

SOLVED
Go to solution

IPM disabled, but still errors: IPM received a management processor error message

I've upgraded HP SIM from 5.2 to 6.3. Because HP SIM 6.3 need a new HP IPM ist was upgraded too. we dont need IPM so I've disabled it. But i still get some some systems errors like this:

IPM received a management processor error message
Access denied because a login delay is in effect.

So it seems to me that HP SIM still contact these systems for IPM data. But why?

Regards
Holger
4 REPLIES 4
phil gaisford
Advisor

Re: IPM disabled, but still errors: IPM received a management processor error message

Perhaps there are scheduled tasks active that make use of the Power Usage Controls tool -- these are not influenced by the setting of the IPM-enabled check box in Options\Power Management.

Use Tasks & Logs\View All Scheduled Tasks to verify if this is the case.

Otherwise, tell us what systems types (G6, G7, enclosure,...) are logging this error, and at what frequency.

Hello Phil,

Thank you for your answer. What I've found:
I get the mails once a day at the same time. At this time are only one task in SIM: System Daily Identification. I've searched the log from the reported systems and the associated iLO, but I can't identify relevant entries. If you would please have a look at it, I've attached both logs.

Another special thing in the logs are the entries about SSH. I've disabled SSH checks too, but it seems to me that the task still try it?

The affected systems are right now all DL380 G5, but not all DL380 G5 (we have over 50, but I get only 6 messages.

Regards
Holger
phil gaisford
Advisor
Solution

The errors arise due to an issue internal to IPM. Briefly, completion of system identification is signaled to IPM through delivery of an event. Upon receipt of this event IPM will try to collect data from the server concerned if no such collection has yet been made. Evidently there are servers known to your CMS for which SIM does not have iLO credentials. The data collection attempt tries any available credentials and provokes a login delay from iLO, an error which IPM bubbles up to the UI in the form of a SIM event.

Daily System Identification will cause this sequence of events to recur every 24 hours.

IPM shouldn├в t really be doing this when disabled, so we├в ll want to address this in a future release. Thanks for bringing this to our attention! In the meantime you might avoid this issue in one of the following ways.

If iLO on the servers in question is licensed, then configure SIM with the iLO credentials so that power management data collection can complete without error.

Alternatively, you could set up an automatic event handler for Power/Thermal events from the servers concerned; the handler could clear the event.

If IPM really isn├в t needed, you can always uninstall it. Of course we hope you will someday find a use for power management, and don├в t chose this option :).

Hello Phil,

Thank you for the explanation. So far there was no need for IPM, but the SIM upgrade process forced me to upgrade the old version 1.4.

The strange thing is, that on all reported servers iLO is licensed, and I've stored valid login data too, so there should never be a reason for this error, because in case SIM tries to get the IPM data there are valid logon data available...

OK, for the moment I'll try the solution to define a automatic event handler. It doesn't fix the cause, but hopefully the emails.

Regards
Holger