Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753868 Members
7405 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ISEE is EOL... going with SIM on Windows or HP-UX?

Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

ISEE is EOL... going with SIM on Windows or HP-UX?

Like many of you, I got an e-mail stating an EOL for ISEE in 2009. That's too bad, I liked ISEE - it actually worked and was easy to set up. Looks like I'll have to migrate to SIM and Remote Support Pack soon.

One of our Windows admins has had SIM running on Windows for years to manage the Proliants but I never liked this software. It's clunky, slow, possibly full of security issues, and when you click on an obscure link you have a 50-50 chance of getting a browser error or timeout. Not my kind of software.

Now I'm faced with the fact that I'll soon depend on SIM for production work (I consider the remote support tools as production), and then comes the 50 dollar question: Do I leverage the current Windows SIM environment we have, or install a separate HP-UX SIM to manage my HP-UX environment?

Any comments on your experiences in this matter would be appreciated.

I'm leaving on vacation soon so don't despair if it takes some time before I assign points, I WILL assign them, look at my score if you're in doubt. :)

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: ISEE is EOL... going with SIM on Windows or HP-UX?

Here is another thread with similar questions:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1254601

[Moderator Note: The above link is no longer valid]

Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

Re: ISEE is EOL... going with SIM on Windows or HP-UX?

From the ISEE to RSP migration FAQ available here: http://h20219.www2.hp.com/services/downloads/ISEE%20Migration%20FAQs%20-%20June%202008.pdf
[Moderator Note: Removed the broken link]
Question: I manage an HP-UX environment. Do I have to use a Windows-based Central Management Server (CMS)?
Answer: Yes. This CMS gives you more control over your remote support infrastructure than ISEE. The centralized
SPOP views in ISEE are replaced by an integration into HP Systems Insight Manager, which is easy to install and
maintain. The SPOP equivalent (Central Management Server) is owned and controlled by you; hence, allowing you
to control who has access and what software and policies are applied.

I double-checked to be sure in the RSP specs, and the bottom line is that RSP is not included in the HP-UX flavor of SIM, so my 50+ HP-UX servers can't be monitored by... er, an HP-UX server. That sucks. What about eating your own dog food, HP?

Looks like the choice of choosing between Windows and HP-UX has been made easy after all.

Thread closed.