Did you mean: 

Identification/Discovery not using all configured WBEM user names

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Kadish
Trusted Contributor

Identification/Discovery not using all configured WBEM user names

Hi all,

I just noticed something strange happening on our SIM 5 SP4 system. I was looking at some of the DCOM 10009 errors being recorded in the server's System Log whenever a identification or discovery was run; I know that these errors will crop up with non-Windows devices. However, I was also seeing them for some Windows servers.

In the Global Protocol Settings for SIM, I have configured three user names and passwords under "Default WBEM Settings." The first is a local admin user, let's call it "Fred." The second is a domain admin user, let's call it "DOMAIN\George."

I discovered that our sysadmin set the password for "Fred" incorrectly for the servers for which the DCOM errors were being logged. However, shouldn't SIM have gone on and tried to use "DOMAIN\George" instead of logging the error? If I run an identification, it succeeds, but the DCOM 10009 error is logged.

Is this expected behavior? Is the second set of credentials ever getting used?

Thanks,
- Steve

2 REPLIES
LukaS_9
Regular Advisor
Solution

Re: Identification/Discovery not using all configured WBEM user names

Hi steve,
my opinion is that probably the first attempt fails and so it is logged. But the second attempt is not logged because it does not take an error....does this make sense? :)
If you want to test if wbem works, take a look of attached file.
In class info you have to specify the CIM class (mine is vpar).
When you press Enumerate instances you have to see some information on the bottom of page (you don't have to take CIM_ERR message you see in my file)

regards
Luca
Steve Kadish
Trusted Contributor

Re: Identification/Discovery not using all configured WBEM user names

Thanks, Luca! That's a useful tool to know about.

- Steve