cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identify Systems - killing the system

Mark A Bradford
Occasional Advisor

Identify Systems - killing the system

We are using HPSIM 5 with SP 5. Our Identify Systems takes over 6 hours for about 2800 servers. I have noticed that there is a tremendous amount of disk I/O during that time. Also, users are upset that response is extremely slow.

Is there any way of optimizing the performance of Identitfy Systems and is it necessary to run it on a daily basis?

This is running on a 580 4-way with 20GB of memory.

Thanx in advance.
3 REPLIES
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: Identify Systems - killing the system

You don't mention which database you are running and what the clock speed of your 4-way is. For reference, using the HP SIM sizer (http://www.hp.com/go/hpsim --> Technical Support --> Configuration information for sizing your SIM server) the recommended configuration is within your reference. However, at that size, Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle should be used, not the MSDE database.
Mark A Bradford
Occasional Advisor

The processor speed is 2.2GH and we are using MSSQLSERVER - not the out of the box database.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Because of the disk activity, I'm still inclined to thing it's a configuration problem of some sort...the disk thrashing indicates too much swapping is going on.

Trying to track down what's going on, I'd suggest disabling the Daily Identification task and replacing it with multiple tasks that fire at different times and look at different subsets of your network. This could help determine if there are any network segment related issues you're dealing with.

Daily identification is an important task because that's how HP SIM discovers when things have changed in your network. Daily may not be necessary in your network depending on change occurring or not occurring daily...every other day might be fine, but I wouldn't schedule it less than weekly.

By the way, how long does Data Collection take to run?