Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752661 Members
5875 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: If Management Processor embedded & ilo Failed does affect my System Operating System?

goraz
Occasional Visitor

If Management Processor embedded & ilo Failed does affect my System Operating System?

Hi All

If my Management Processor embedded & ilo Failed does affect my System Operating System?

or slow down on snything?

please provide Document or a PDF file by HPE to prove the answer, thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: If Management Processor embedded & ilo Failed does affect my System Operating System?

That's a simple no. The only issue i can think of is an ASR trigger where the software thinks the system is hanging and gives the ILO a server reset.
Kind regards,

Andrew
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

I had an iLO fail on me and it cause some issues with the fans and cooling.  The server would over heat a few minutes after booting up because of the iLO not properly controlling things and the OS would eventually crash:

We upgraded the iLO 4 firmware on a DL360p Gen8 with no errors or problems.  Some time later the server shutdown.  After booting back up, we get these errors at post:

iLO 4 not responding.  System Health Monitoring has been disabled

1500 iLO 4 configuration is temporarily unavailable (5).

goraz
Occasional Visitor

when ILO crush, does it happen shut down server immediately? or it give some sort of warining?

and what was your solution solve this problem? (after upgrade the firmware abd so on?)

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Do you see ASR events in the ILO Event Log log ?

Kind regards,

Andrew
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

The server would boot up and would run for maybe 10 or 15 minutes before shutting off.  If you put your hand on the cover of the server, it was so hot it was painful.  We had to dump the server because we could not fix the iLO and it was out of warranty.  I tried booting up to a bootable HPE firmware ISO to try to force the iLO firmware to be updated, but that did not work - the boot ISO acted really funny - it would hang at various points during the load/boot up...I think because it was overheating.  I also tried using a large barn fan to keep the server cool long enough to fix - but that ended up not helping either.

I also tried flipping the iLO switch on the system board and pulling out CMOS battery.  Nothing worked.  And all this happened when we did a simple iLO firmware update.  The update completed sucessfully with no errors.  A short time later..bam! The server shut down on us.

I dont recall if there were any ASR errors....its been over a year since this happened.  The main thing we saw (besides the overheating) was this during bootup:

iLO 4 not responding.  System Health Monitoring has been disabled

1500 iLO 4 configuration is temporarily unavailable (5).

NK

solovyev
Visitor

For old versions ILO:

If a ProLiant DL or ProLiant ML series server is power-cycled with a non-working iLO 2 firmware and takes several minutes to display the Power-On Self-Test (POST), perform the following steps to recover iLO 2 to Firmware Version 1.77:

1. Set the iLO 2 Security Override Switch on the system board to the ON position. The location of the switch is printed on a label located on the inside of the hood cover.
2. Power ON the server and boot using the Firmware Maintenance CD version 8.50. The CD ISO image is available for download from the following URL:

http://www.hp.com/go/foundation

3. Use the following key strokes to exit out of HP Smart Update Manager. A command prompt will be displayed over the HP Smart Update Manager window. The command prompt takes approximately 30 seconds to appear:
CTRL + ALT + d + b + x (Keep the CTRL and ALT keys pressed when typing d b x )
4. At the command prompt, navigate to the Firmware Maintenance CD directory containing the supplemental iLO 2 firmware update by using the following command:
bash-3.1# cd mnt/cdrom/compaq/swpackages
5. Use the following command to unload the HPILO module:
rmmod hpilo
6. Use the following command to execute the iLO 2 firmware update in direct mode:
sh CP010541.scexe direct (This parameter requires two dash ( ) characters).
7. Once the iLO 2 firmware upgrade is completed, power OFF the server and set the iLO 2 Security Override Switch on the system board to the OFF position.