New Discussion юеВ

Improving interface for SNMP Trap Settings

SOLVED
Go to solution
NewKidd2
Frequent Advisor

Improving interface for SNMP Trap Settings

Folks,

I have a suggestion for the HPSIM engineering team regarding their interface which enables customization of SNMP Trap Settings. As I believe you will agree, the current interface is very cumbersome, and easy to make mistakes with.

Plus, according to HPSIM Tech Support, there is no way to produce an HPSIM report which may show current settings for SNMP traps. I asked about giving me the names of the SQL tables, so our DBA's could extract the info, and produce a report for us. The answer, of course, was NO.

And, to add insult to injury, every time a new MIB package is applied, these SNMP traps are reset back to the default. And, since some companies, like mine, do not agree with the many of the default Severity assigned to traps by HPSIM, we are forced to spent a long very time re-entering all our changes every time after applying a MIB update to HPSIM.

Because of this, I recommend for HPSIM to get a new interface for customizing SNMP traps. My idea is that the interface should allow you to modify all the SNMP traps within a specific MIB at once. Checkboxes next to each MIB would allow us to do this. And, if HP engineers feel extra generous, they could throw in a report that allows you to see all the changes you've made to the SNMP Traps.

I know we're still dealing w/ upgrade to HPSIM 5.1. But I feel inspired, and decided to share this with all of you. What are your thoughts.--Regards.
3 REPLIES 3
NewKidd2
Frequent Advisor

Re: Improving interface for SNMP Trap Settings

Folks, any comments on this issue would be appreciated. Regards.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

You'll always have different vendor views so that's pretty difficult to resolve.

As regards accessing the database, it's simple SQL, I just use MS excel and MSQuery and look around.
A quick look found the table trapItems and the following SQL, generated by MSQuery, seems to list the traps.
SELECT trapItems.trap_id, trapItems.trap_name, trapItems.trap_enterprise, trapItems.trap_generic_id, trapItems.trap_specific_id, trapItems.trap_severity_id, trapItems.trap_varbind_count, trapItems.cat_id, trapItems.sev_vb
FROM Insight_v_DB.dbo.trapItems trapItems

change the Insight_v)DB to whatever your database is.
There are additional tables related to traps.

Possibly a way of updating trap specifics via an XML file may be useful, much in the same way that licenses can be added may be a useful addition.
NewKidd2
Frequent Advisor

Rob, thanks for the reply. I ran the SQL Query and it worked like a charm. I still prefer a Web interface that allows me to easily turn alarms off/on and change categories...

Hoewer, the workaround you suggested is the next best thing. Again thanks!!!