4953 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Insight Control upgrade concerns

Tom Keck
Occasional Advisor

Insight Control upgrade concerns

Experts,

During an attempt to upgrade our Insight v6 installation to V7 by an HP Support employee, our entire Insight database was corrupted.  Multiple attempts to recover from our SQL backups were unsuccessful due to DB table changes between V6 & V7.  Several complete server rebuilds & data restores back to V6 and re-upgrade attempts repeatedly corrupted the database. Finally we stayed on V7, rediscovered all systems and spent weeks recreating the many customized Insight collections and reports we had developed over many years.  Months later, after repeated complaints and escalations to HP, the answer we got was that the problem cause was that there was more than 50K events in our DB and that's why the update failed.  Does that sound reasonable to all of you?  If that's the case, the installation procedure badly needs to include checks for this before it proceeds!  Also, I've found that the provided event cleanup tasks only work when run manually but don't work when run by schedule if there are too many events.  Our CMS is an HP BL460 G7 server with 48GB of mem with the DB on a separate 3 node 96GB G7 SQL 2008 Enterprise cluster so this 50K event limit has got to be just poor programming inside Insight.   Has anyone else had this terrible misfortune?  What is HP doing to warn and prevent this for other customers?

"Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity." - Isaac Asimov
6 REPLIES 6
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Re: Insight Control upgrade concerns

Tom,

How did you go with the upgrade ?

I am also trying to upgrade HP SIM v 4.7 something into v 7.11 next week, so I wonder what should be the caveats to do before doing the upgrade.

Best regards,
David Orwig
Regular Advisor

Albert, 4.7 to 7.x is a rather big jump! I'm thinking there may be MANY caveats.

Server-Support
Super Advisor

Yes David,

So what do you suggest ? a complete reinstallation perhaps ?

Best regards,
Paul Kurtz
HPE Pro

Yes,  There are supported upgrade paths for HP SIM.  If on 4.x you would have to find all the old installs and thats if you don't have any issues with SQL versions.

6.3 to 7.0 7.1

6.2 to 6.3

etc...

The upgrade paths are in the Installation Guides at this site:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/unified/infolibraryfm.html

I have done upgrades for HP customers and even data migrations.  I used mxexport\mximport and need to have the HP SIM server acccount have access to SQL server (admin privl) while running the mximport.

I did have SIM admin clean up events before hand,  manually.

I am a HPE Employee
Server-Support
Super Advisor

thanks Paul,

I'll prepare the migration steps to cutover the HP SIM to the new Virtual Machine.

Do I need to visit and reconfigure the HP SIM agents in all of the servers to point to the new IP address if necesary ?

Best regards,
Paul Kurtz
HPE Pro

Yes, you can use Configure\Repair agents or Replicated an agents settings to all the servers.

I am a HPE Employee