1753779 Members
7377 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Insight Manager 7.5.0 discovery faults

QuintijnNL

Insight Manager 7.5.0 discovery faults

Hi folks,

I'm currently building a new HP Insight Manager for our Managed Environment where many different customer IT environments are connected with. 

I have run the first time wizard and configured a couple of servers within the autodiscover window.

Unfortunately on every server I get a couple of errors. I have read many articles and topics on this forum but am lost in all information. Can someone please help me out?

Major: The system cannot be identified properly for HP SIM to manage;
unable to get one or more of the following: model, serial number or
unique identifier (UUID). For management processors, verify the
system is running the latest firmware. For Linux based operating
systems, you must have dmidecode installed, enable the
PermitRootLogin and PasswordAuthentication in sshd, and use root
sign-in credential. For HP-UX, verify the sign-in credential. For
Windows, check if WMIMapper is configured correctly on the CMS and
verify the sign-in credential.

Normal: Identification status is only available for servers, workstations,
or desktops, where monitoring is enabled. <-- is this one caused by the one above?

Minor: Identification cannot get computer system hardware data from the
WBEM / WMI providers.

Hope to hear from you.

16 REPLIES 16
n0kia
Valued Contributor

What type of servers are you trying to monitor?

What agents/providers are you running on those systems?

What OS?

ChrisAbbott
Advisor

There are a number of things that can cause this.

First, check the HP SMHP on each server and check that it can see the server hardware details.

If not, you are most likely missing the WBEM software.

In addition, you may need to swap the provider on the homepage from SNMP to WBEM or visa-versa.

You also need SNMP running on the server.

On top of all that, don't forget firewall ports need opening between your SIM server and the SMHP servers.

If I remember rightly, some servers also require a Power Manager driver to be installed. Can't remember the exact name of this off the top of my head, but it has something to do with the interface to iLO.

Quintijn-NL
Occasional Advisor

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I will come back to you beginning of next week when I will continue on the project.

Cheers

Quintijn-NL
Occasional Advisor

@n0kia

All are HP Proliant DL 3*0 Gen6/7/8/9 servers. 2008 R2 and/or 2012R2 is installed.

WBEM providers are installed. HP System Management Homepage and all other HP Tools are installed.  SNMP protocol is reachable when I use a SNMP test tool.

Quintijn-NL
Occasional Advisor

@ChrisAbbott

HP System Management Homepage is working fine. Datasource SNMP & WBEM showing all hardware and health is OK.

All traffic is setup via site-to-site VPN's and ports are opened. Communication is also not the problem.

Is it possible that it has something to do with security? 

ChrisAbbott
Advisor

Firewall would be the next obvious issue.

Port 5989 for WBEM.

Port 2301 and 2381 for SMHP.

Port 63000 for VC agent.

ChrisAbbott
Advisor

Forgot... you will also need the SMHP on the machine in question to trust the SIM server.

You can either push out a certificate from within SIM (Configure > Configure or Repair Agents) or manually import it.

The certificate is held in C:\hp\sslshare\cert.pem on the SIM server.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

For SNMP agents you need to correctly set you settings, you need to be allowed to access the server in the SNMP config. You also need to know and set the community string in SIM under the credentials settings. Then you need to be able to access the server trough firewall(s).

If you use WBEM tou need an Admin account to access the server and then again the firewall ofcource. Try to avoid to use both at the same time.

SNMP needs to have traps configured in the SNMP settings and when using WBEM you need te set a WBEM subscription from SIM. A trust is not needed from a monitoring perspective, only if you want to be able to passtrough from SIM. If you use a GEN8 or newer you should not install WBEM/SNMP agents or SMH.
Kind regards,

Andrew
Quintijn-NL
Occasional Advisor

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply.

Can someone tell me how to disable wbem check within the system insight manager? I only want to scan on SNMP. 

SNMP is configured. Traps and strings are set and SNMP communication is ok