1753772 Members
5121 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Insight Manager 7.5.0 discovery faults

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

If you want to disable protocols log into SIM, click On Options > Protocol Settings Global Protocol Settings. Look at the WBEM settings and clear the Enable WBEM box, this way you will not use the WBEM in discovery and Identification. Any other protocol like SSH can also be disabled here.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Quintijn-NL
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the fast reply.

I just discovered the comment above where was said that gen 8 and 9 you just have to monitor the ILO interface of the server. When I do that I get a complete status in the discovery so thats good.

Does it monitor the server completely for all alerts (SNMP)? So it's the same monitoring as you would monitor the server itself for Gen 7 or before)?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again and good morning,

Yes if you use the Agentless Management Service software and configure the ILO to use the AMS and that it forwards the SNMP traps to the SIM server it should work just fine. The real advantage to this is that for any OS you don't need credentials to identify and get datacollection OS/Firmware information. This way you don't need the SNMP/WBEM agents and the SMH wich always has openSSL problems. If you connect the ILO to a seperate monitor VLAN you get a more secure setup.

I also modified the Initial and By weekly Datacollection for the Gen8 & Gen9 servers as the real info only comes from the ILO so if there are any extra credentials they don't get used by the Datacollection. so the Datacollection conflicts will stay away. For this to work you need to create a collection that excludes Gen8& Gen9 servers and use that collection in the buildin Initial and Bi Weekly Datacollection.

To be complete try to remove credentials for OS from your general credentials and only use them to run discovery jobs for non Gen8 & Gen9 servers. 

Kind regards,

Andrew
Quintijn-NL
Occasional Advisor

Thanks again!

last questions.

1. I have disabled WBEM in the SIM server. I receive the following message in the discovery results. Can i somehow disable this alert?"Major: WBEM is not enabled on the Central Management Server"

2. For agentless management. Do I need to buy a optional license? We have an ILO advanced license on all servers. Is that enough? No software needed on the server? Just configure ILO and SNMP I assume?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

To answer the first, strangly enough no. You would think if you intensionaly disable a protocol you just don't want logging to give errors about that. If you look at the logging the real important errors are shownin the first portion. under the ********* Additional results (listed for information only): line the info is optional and only needed for troubleshooting identification issues. 

For Agentless monitoring you don't need extra licences. For once it's free. Don't forget to uninstall the agents, the export the nodes, delete them and re-add as SIM remebers this it was able to use the old protocols.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Quintijn-NL
Occasional Advisor

I need to uninstall the software? Why can't I just let it installed as is it?

HPSIM is just a trigger/monitoring tool for us. We use HP System Management and HP Tools on the server to support further errors.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

From a monitoring point of view you can leave all agents and protocols on. The only problem is that you can get errors for datacollection info for the servers. This is of no issue from a monitoring point of view only if you need hardware/software info as this can get broken.

Kind regards,

Andrew