Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insight Manager Remote Support Configuration Plugin

capserv
Occasional Advisor

Insight Manager Remote Support Configuration Plugin

Hello,
I recently installed HPSIM 5.1 SP1 on a Proliant DL360 G4 running Windows 2003 R2 x64. The install went fine, but the "Remote Support Configuration and Services" option doesn't appear on the "Options" menu even though I installed all the Remote Support options. Additionally, I configured the Remote Support Software Manager, and it looks like it auto-installed the required software successfully.

Has anyone seen this problem before?
Thank you!
--David
7 REPLIES
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: Insight Manager Remote Support Configuration Plugin

Hello David,
If the Installation has been ok, then Check your firewall settings to see if the Remote Support tool is being blocked.

Regards,
James.
capserv
Occasional Advisor

Hi James,
As far as I can tell the tool is contacting HP okay. All the components downloaded and installed. When I test the connection in the Remote Support Software Manager, it passes. It just needs outbound 443, right?

My colleague that manages the firewall is checking the logs.

The only thing missing is the "Remote Support Configuration and Services" option in HPSIM. Besides the firewall, is there anything else I should be investigating?

Thank you!
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hi David,

You must have administrative rights on the CMS and in HP SIM to access both the
Remote Support Software Manager and the Remote Support Configuration and Services
Option. The Service Essentials Remote Support Pack is not supported on Virtual systems and
must be installed on the c:\ drive of a supported Windows ProLiant CMS. If you are using a Web Proxy Server for Internet access from your enterprise, you must configure the Web Proxy settings in the HP Remote Support
Configuration and Services Option before you register it.
If you are not using a Web proxy server, Then YES, you must open your firewall to allow communication over port 443.

Regards,
James.
capserv
Occasional Advisor

Hi James,
Thank you so much for your help.

* I have administrator on both the CMS and HP SIM. I can access the Remote Software Manager okay.
* HP SIM is installed on a physical server -- Proliant DL360 G4. It's on the C:\ drive.
* Outbound 443 is allowed.

- I'm running Win2k3 R2 x64. Could x64 be causing any issues?
- What rights does the HPSIM service account need? Full admin on just the CMS or admin on all monitored servers too?
- Is there any log I should be checking?

Thank you!
--David

James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hey David,

I dont think win2k3x64 particularly can be blamed.
Admin on all nodes.
Cant think of a log file which will report what is missing here.

Try Reinstalling the remote support components.

complete documentation:
http://docs.hp.com/en/5991-7990/5991-7990.pdf

http://docs.hp.com/en/5992-1707/5992-1707.pdf

im running out of options too ! hope reinstalling the components will work.
Regards,
James.
capserv
Occasional Advisor

Hi James,
I got it figured out now. The Remote Software Manager only downloads the x64 Remote Support client, but doesn't install it. It lists it as "installed," but it's not actually installed (sneaky!). I installed it manually and it solved the problem.

Thank you.
--David
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Ha Ha.. finally, Reinstalling the remote support components did work... just when we were running out of options.

Thats a good update for me as well David. I did not know that. Thanks, I learned too.

Regards,
James.

PS: Don't forget my points !!! ;)