Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752694 Members
5507 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Insight Manager hard disk event handling

Infoture

Insight Manager hard disk event handling

Hi there. I will admit I am quite new to Insight manager. I don't have too much use for all of the features of insight manager.

The only thing I am really wanting to do with it is monitor server hardware and notify me when something goes wrong.

All of the servers I am monitoring are various HP Proliant models. I have searched around on the forums to setup what I need and haven't found a solution that works completely.

I have the insight manager up and running. The console can view all the servers that I need to monitor. I read on another forum post to setup an auto even task. I am specifically testing hard disk failure. The user advised to select "Proliant Storage Events" as the even type. I selected All Systems for the system selection.

All notifications are setup properly and have been tested.

I thought I'd see if it works by pulling out a drive from 2 servers in a raid configuration. After I did this I never received any emails. I also checked the status of the servers in the insight manager; "Normal."

Do I have to install or setup anything specific on each server that I want to monitor?

Sorry for being so Green at this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
7 REPLIES 7
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Have you installed the SNMP service and the HP Management Agents on each server?
If so, you need to check some settings on the server, especially the SNMP settings (Community Strings, Access rights, Trap Destination). Also check the trust mode in System Management Homepage.

Regards,
Stephen
Infoture

I have SNMP installed on each of the servers but I didn't read anything in the setup guide that mentioned installing an actual agent on each server I want to monitor.

Could you please point me in the right direction?

Thank you for your quick response.
Ian Kirvell
Frequent Advisor

Hi.

If you used Smartstart to build your servers you should have everything you need already installed. As said above, right click your SNMP service and check the trap destination settings, and permitted managers (which should be a DNS name or IP of your SIM console).
T. Vander Auwera
Frequent Advisor

Which server models are you talking about?
All ProLiant's do not support the Insight Agents...
Infoture

I know that at least half of our servers were setup with the start smart cd's. It looks like adding the IP address of the insight server to the SNMP trap service is making progress.

T. Vander Auwera: Here is a list of the models of proliant servers we are running:
DL380G4
DL360G4P
DL385
DL585
DL145G2

I'll keep you guys posted...
Infoture

Sweet! It looks like all of the servers that were setup with start smart are working great.

I setup the majority of the dl145g2's manually and, of course, I am not getting any notifications from them even w/SNMP installed.

Is there some software package I can install on those 145's that will allow it to communicate with the SIM server?
T. Vander Auwera
Frequent Advisor

The 100 series do not support the Insight Agents.
You should look on the Support and Documentation CD delivered with the system to find out how to configure the server management.