New Discussion юеВ

Re: Insight Power Manager

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ian Kirvell
Frequent Advisor

Insight Power Manager

Hi all,

I've licenced 5 of our DL360/380 G5 servers in SIM 5.1 to work with the new Insight Power Manager feature. Unfortunately the Power Manager page is blank when I go to it, and every server I have licenced says "this system is not supported by Insight Power Manager". As I can see the Power Manager details in the ILO2 page on each server I suspect this is wrong!

Anyone seen this error or have any suggestions?

Thanks
21 REPLIES 21
Mike EvansCengageLearni
Frequent Advisor

I have and good luck getting a good answer from HP on this issue. I have a ticket open with HP regarding this issue and I have been told that this is a new feature and that the dev's aren't sure what is causing it. they haven't been able to recreate the issue, or so I've been told, and that I am just going to have to wait until they can recreate for an answer. Personally, this has left me with a pretty bad taste in my mouth regarding support. If I ever hear anything back from HP regarding a resolution, I will post it.
Ian Kirvell
Frequent Advisor

I too opened a support call with HP and haven't even been given a response! Considering we have over 180 HP servers it would be nice to get some help! Anyone else seen this problem?
Mike EvansCengageLearni
Frequent Advisor

This was an email I recieved this morning from HP support regarding this issue:

"Hi Mike,

I don├в t have real news, but one thing, Insight Power Manager cannot be turned off. It is hard coded into Sim 5.1. One of my teammates has seen something similar to this, so I am consulting him as well.

-----

Kim"
mgarrett
Occasional Advisor

Hi Ian and Mike,

My name is Mike Garrett and I am a developer of this product. I apologize for the lack of response so far. I saw this thread yesterday. Please post your case numbers on this thread so we can contact you directly to work through problems.

What follows are my general thoughts on your reported problem:

Insight Power Manager (IPM) gathers power data for servers, but does so by talking to their iLOs. For this reason, the first step is to make sure each of your iLO management processors is correctly associated with its parent server in HP-SIM. If you are an experienced SIM user, you probably don't need further explanation, but if not, you should make sure that when you display your system table view, each iLO has the "in Server xxx" text next to it and the server should be correct.

If the iLOs are correctly associated, the next step is to select them all and re-run Identification (under the tools menu). During Identification, IPM will query the iLO and see if it (and its host system) are IPM-ready. If so, they will be marked compatible, and your problem should be resolved.

The blank screen you are encountering is a defect in HP-SIM, but should only happen as a side-effect of not having any compatible systems for the tool (IPM) you are trying to run. This is a cosmetic problem only. Once IPM has discovered compatible systems, this blank screen should not happen.

I hope this helps you get going. I'll monitor this thread and see how it goes.

Mike
mgarrett
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mike

Regarding this:

I don├Г┬в├В ├В t have real news, but one thing, Insight Power Manager cannot be turned off. It is hard coded into Sim 5.1. One of my teammates has seen something similar to this, so I am consulting him as well.

This is not accurate. IPM is built into HP-SIM, but it can be disabled by going to Options|Insight Power Manager..., unchecking the Enable box, and pressing Apply. This will prevent IPM from executing any of its functionality in the background.

IPM is also disabled by default.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Mike EvansCengageLearni
Frequent Advisor

3217685955. I have another one open with someone else looking at this as well, but for some reason I cannot locate the case # at this time. The technician working that case is Kim Parkhurst
Ian Kirvell
Frequent Advisor

Mike,

thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it. I've chosen two proliants that are definately associated in SIM with their ILO2 Management Processors, and re-run the identification process. When re-identifying the Management Processors I get a line in the log: idpluginstart. ipmcompatible is this what you were hoping I would see? Unfortuantely it doesn't appear to have made any difference, although I have learnt with SIM to give it a few hours sometimes! Would the fact that we change the default non-ssl port affect things? We do leave ssl on 443.

Thanks a lot for your time
mgarrett
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Hi Ian,

I think you may have hit on the problem. As part of the IPM identification process, we fetch the XML document at

http://:80/xmldata?item=All

This contains most of what we need. If you have changed the default port from 80 and this doesn't respond, that would probably be root cause.

Unfortunately, there is no configurable port number for the default HTTP port within IPM. For eval purposes, you would need to use port 80. We can log a feature request for this in an upcoming release.

If you wouldn't mind, at your convenience could you change an iLO2 back to port 80 and see if the problem disappears so we can confirm root cause?

You can also check this data yourself by hitting that URL (using your port number) with a browser, and confirm that it responds with some XML asset data.

Thanks

Mike
Ian Kirvell
Frequent Advisor

Mike,

spot on! Changing the port to 80 has fixed the problem. In our defence, I didn't see any documentation refering to the non-ssl port, but strangely the IPM config page within SIM allows you to specify the ssl port? I had assumed that was the port we would be interested in.

Would your advice be to change all of our ILO pages back to port 80, or is it worth us waiting for an update to IPM to allow a configurable port? I appreciate you won't have exact timescales or anything.

Many thanks, my faith in HP is renewed!

Ian