1752790 Members
5922 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Insight not reporting drive failures

MorrisonHomes
Advisor

Insight not reporting drive failures

We have came across an issue twice now where insight doesn't report if a drive fails in a raid array, I have tried manually by removing a drive from a test server and insight doesn't respond, the IML on the ilo is showing failure but insight is not, It happens with both wbem and snmp, I really don't know where to start with this one.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Re: Insight not reporting drive failures

With SNMP you should be getting something like this:

(SNMP) Logical Drive Status Change (3034)

With WBEM, I am not sure...I don't really use that except for VMs (and obviously no drive failures for VMs).

Do you see any Events for the test server?  In other words, is it a matter of alerting (you are not getting the alert) or is it a matter of the event not even being generated?

Nelson

MorrisonHomes
Advisor

I actually got a bit more progress i got it to register on SNMP now and it registers the drive has failed finally but it didnt email me like it was supposet o so just working on that now.

any thoughts?

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Just the obvious stuff, that you have problably already checked. Like smtp settings, the event handling job you created, etc.

I am assuming you went through the wizard to create an event handling job to alert on the problem server correct? Make sure it is as simple as possible. For example, don't try to filter on just drive errors. Try setting it up to alert on ANY type of error and then fine tune later after you have established that basic alerting is working.

Nelson
MorrisonHomes
Advisor

yeah got all that stuff it isnt filtered at all over then dont send infomration stuff just critical, Major it works for some servers but not all that what is weird
shocko
Honored Contributor

OK,

Check that the SNMP community strings are working. Run a 'Manage Communications' job on the SIM server and this will check for you. Now try this:

1. Send a test trap form the 'HP Management Agents' control panel applet
  2. This should generate a warning event locally in the event log
  3. This should also generate a warning snmp trap at the SIM server if all is working. The event should show up in the event list for that server

If this is verified then the issue is with you event mailing setup.

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)