108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Insight on HP desktop with Win Server 2003

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bob Banister
Occasional Advisor

Insight on HP desktop with Win Server 2003

Can I install Insight on a desktop PC running Win Server 2003?
All we need is notification if the server goes down, nothing else.
What do I need to do this?
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Not sure what you mean. HPSIM is the management product that can be installed on quite a range of hardware.

To monitor if a server is up / down you just need to be able to ping it.
By default devices that HPSIM has identified as servers are polled every 5 minutes and other devices every 10 minutes. So if the device hasn't been identified it could be up to 10 minutes before it realises it is not there.
Bob Banister
Occasional Advisor

But in order for SIM to tell me these desktops (running Win Server 2003) are either up or down, surely the desktops will need some management software loaded that SIM can see and respond to?
fred Passeron
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi

As rob mentionned it : HP SIM can poll devices..

In your case, you want to manage desktops that are running Windows 2003.

The default Hardware status polling tasks will consider your PCs as non servers. Therefore It will poll every 10 minutes.

What you should is to create a new task to poll your desktops and schedule it according to your needs.

There is no insight agents for desktop. But standard snmp stack from windows should be enough for the HW status polling...

This means that you desktop will have to run snmp and WMI.
Agents are intrumentations that extend capabilities of these protocols. Default basic status are node up or down, link up or down and log in log out events I believe. WMI would require some HP SIM configuration in options / security /global protocal settings. You will need to enter wbem credentials here.

Hardware Status Polling. Used to track system status:

Hardware Status Polling for Non servers. Used to collect status information for target systems that are not of a server, cluster, or management processor type. This task is configured to poll every 10 minutes and at startup by default. It does not send status change events.

Hardware Status Polling for Servers . Used to collect status information for SNMP systems of type server, cluster, or management processor. This task is configured to poll every 5 minutes and at startup by default. It sends status change events that can be used set up a notification task based on the event.

To access Hardware Status Polling, select OptionsStatus PollingHardware

To create a Hardware Status Polling Task:

Select OptionsStatus PollingHardware Status Polling.

Select the target systems. See Managing with tasks - Creating a task for more information.

Click [Next]. The Select Protocol Settings section appears.

Select from the following protocols:

DMI

Note: DMI is available only on Windows systems.

HTTP

SNMP

WBEM

Note: By default, all protocols are selected. If all protocols are clear, then the [Schedule] and [Run Now] buttons are disabled.

Hope it helps

fred
тАЬLife is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.тАЭ Isaac Asimov
Bob Banister
Occasional Advisor

The one other thing that needs to be taken into consideration is setting the IP range.
Go to Options/Discovery and edit to add the necessary IP.
Once I did that and ran discovery the systems showed up.
Bob
Bob Banister
Occasional Advisor

See replies in this thread for solution.