New Discussion юеВ

Install SIM 5.2 pointing to the existing SIM DB

SOLVED
Go to solution
Riks_2
Frequent Advisor

Install SIM 5.2 pointing to the existing SIM DB

Hi,

I have a new server I want to install SIM 5.2 pointing to the existing DB. My main goal here is to migrate the APP and (remote) DB to another servers.

So, I firstly want to install the app on a new server pointing to the existing DB, then move the DB after that.

When installing SIM, I had to specify the SQL server with instance, but ended up creating a new DB on that sql server... couldn't specify the correct instance/db name....

mxgetdbinfo didn't give me "dbname" (blank)

How can I find the necessary info to be able to point to the existing DB?

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,
Riks

5 REPLIES 5
Change_happens
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Install SIM 5.2 pointing to the existing SIM DB

They are stored in database.props file which is under SIM/config directory.
Riks_2
Frequent Advisor

Thanks! but the file also had the dbname as blank...

How can I get Instance name? In the setup wizard, I choose in Database Configuration to "Use SQL/SQL Express" then specify host where the DB is located. I also have to either choose "use existing MSSQLSERVER" or "user this one" then specify the instance name....

Thanks!
Regards
Riks
Riks_2
Frequent Advisor

The instance name is specified in database.props file, but even if I specify the instance name, a new installer will not point to the existing database.

Does anyone know how I can install SIM pointing to the existing database?

Thanks.

Regards
Riks
VRC
Valued Contributor

Hi,
Installer will always create a new DB. you cannot use existing DB during installation.

Regards,
VRC.
Riks_2
Frequent Advisor

Yeah, there doesn't seem to have an option to point to the existing db. But after the installation, if I search with the DB name and modify files that contains the DB info to the existing DB, it seems to point to the exsiting one...

Not sure what impacts there will be though... I could logon and see all maanged systems fine....

Regards,
Riks